Starting over with vinyl

Having just acquired new MMGs after a decade without music (yes, what a long strange trip it has been), I will begin to rebuild my music collection.

The question is "vinyl or cd"?  I have a collection of 100 or so CDs and no vinyl at all.

My system is Adcom GTP-500, GFA-555 and MMGs.  An Onix XCD-88 and Denon DCM-280 take care of the CD side.

Musical preferences are folk, bluegrass, jazz, classical and rock and roll (60s and 70s) and female vocals.

My last turntable was a Revox B970 and before that there was a Technics belt drive with a Shure V15 cartridge.

Buying used, what would be a reasonable starting place with a budget of $500 for equipment?  And is there anything I should know about the phono stage of the GTP-500 (checked out and functioning as designed) that would steer me away from vinyl?

Thanks in advance for your responses
kythyn
I'm just curious, but did you get the whole Onix package with the amp and speakers? I've never had the chance to hear one of those systems. It looks like a really good deal. 
mb1audio -

No, I didn't get the whole system as I had the same Adcom gear and 3.6s back then.
Kythryn, After reading this and your other threads:

1) I think that trying the SYS to solve your gain issue is a good purchase. I own one in a second system and believe it to be a good replacement for the Adcom pre. If you find that to be true the pre could be sold to fund a stand alone FM tuner if you wish to keep one as a source (quality ones can be found inexpensively).

2) I believe your focus on digital is a good idea for now. Put together a system that satisfies prior to considering vinyl as an additional source.

3) My thinking on a DAC would be that it can serve to upgrade your CD player which can remain in use as a transport and also serve for computer audio. Your CD player must have digital output and the DAC must have both a USB  and SPDIF input (one that matches the CD player). Your CD player and computer would be connected to the DAC which is in turn connected to the SYS. Thus leaving the other SYS input for an additional source ( FM tuner or phonostage).

4) I believe if I had the money to upgrade from the MMGs to the .7s I would. Though since the MMGs are so new you might sort out your other issues 1st and get to know them better. Handle them with care and they will hold value. 

Good luck in this endeavor.
DAC, wireless connection, music server (as I begin to understand the pieces it takes) $500 - 700, which seems slim for the DAC alone