Wilson Sofia 2 vs marten dajango L

I have narrowed my selection to the two speakers Wilson Sofia 2 vs marten django.  I currently run all mcintosh mc 500 amps and I also need a speaker where I can match with a center speaker . I haven't heard any Martens speakers so how will they compare to the wilsons ? My room is 14 x 20 stereo/home theater room....I listen from acoustic rock to Pearl Jam mostly from my VPI turntable ....any input would help before I pull the trigger budget around 5k give or take .....thank you
jhjf123456
If what you are saying has any reality attached to it, then the MBL 101E must be the most metallic sounding speaker on earth.......also, any vintage Apogee cannot possibly sound musical.....

Drivers are made of hemp, paper, plastic, carbon fiber, woven products of all exotic variety, even wood products.....they are made of metal, metal ribbons, folded metal, mylar with magnets......tweeters of berillium and coated with crushed up diamonds (wow, that must sound like someone working in a mine LOL)

The material of the driver has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with what it projects into the listening room......

As beautifully simplistic as your wine glass versus pillows and cymbals analogies are, they are simply fantasy...........you need to go out and do some listening and when you are finished I hope you realize that speakers don't consist of apparatuses actually STRIKING the driver..like a gong.........LOL
Stewart,

Of course the material and construction of the driver influences the sound. Basically, hard material cones are less damped and tend to ring but can be more pistonic (broader frequency operating envelope) - allowing the use of small voice coils on larger woofers. Softer materials such as damped fabric cones often have the least coloration but suffer from a reduced operating envelope as the cone can break up and to have a good operating range they may need enhancements like more support from a much larger expensive voice coil.

There are are pros and cons to everything and then there is aesthetics and marketing (choice of material may influence buyers) - as you alluded, there are so many ways and combination of materials used to make the cones that the only logical conclusion is that it DOES matter.

BTW - the rubber damping dots on Accuton drivers - any idea what they might be for - could it be Accuton’s approach to reduce ringing?

BTW - I can hear the difference. You are blessed if you cannot as a variety of materials and a much larger number of speaker designs will work equally well for you.

Shadorne...Your dismissal of Marten speakers /Accutron drivers is just silly at best.Some might call it ridiculous....and for your to write

BTW - I can hear the difference. You are blessed if you cannot as a variety of materials and a much larger number of speaker designs will work equally well for you......

As the say..we cant argue with stupid!

Missioncoonery,

Apparently, Shandorne's comments made their way to Marten.....
They've announced they are going out of business since there is
no way anyone is going to want to listen to a speaker that sounds
like the lid of a trashcan......

no.....you cannot argue with stupid.....

LOL

shadorne

Easy. Stay well away from Marten ceramic drivers (accuton I believe). Get the Wilson. The sound of the Wilson Sophia 2 is extremely realistic - especially in the all important mid range.

Ceramic or rigid drivers suffer from the "ring like a bell" issue - lots of unrelated harmonics. Think about it - a drum set has cymbals - thin round rigid discs of hard metal - they sound great and have a long sustain with a multitude of vibrations after the initial hit - do you really think a cymbal would make a great speaker driver????
You've got the physics of that all wrong, what they're trying to do is get a pure pistonic  behaviour without any cone flex, this is the ideal for pushing air without any "ring like a bell issue" that you get from cones flexing. 

Cheers George