Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I'm with you Rok; I listen to music for enjoyment, not to break it down like dissecting a frog in biology (pun unintended). Them super "aficionados" got all over me about Enigma, but failed to comment on "Swinging For Benny" which is a real Gem, and I know they probably hadn't heard it before because no one has posted it before. Here it is one mo time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rnw2FQUckE

Can you dig it.

****Folks on this thread do seem to listen to music as if they were music critics, instead of music lovers.****

Nonsense! And if I weren’t in such a good mood today I probably would have said "bulls++t!" We’ve been here so many times before that it’s ridiculous. Let’s take a closer look at this assertion and hopefully put it to rest once and for all (unlikely)....shall we?:

The main problem with that assertion is that the implication is that when there is any critical analysis there is less love for the music; that the "critic" is somehow automatically LESS of a music lover and that the listener who won’t or is incapable of being analytical is somehow a more "pure" lover of the music and is more in touch with or receptive to the emotional content in music; a ridiculous and self-serving stance.  I would ask the "music lovers" here to please point out what it is they bring to the table of discussion or simple sharing of music that separates them from the supposed "critics" here. Let’s see, by way of quotes from prior posts or new commentary, what it is, exactly, that points to any advantage or any sort of "higher ground" in the areas of appreciation or love for any music by a choice or inability to be analytical. The point is, as has been pointed out many times before, that analysis ADDS to appreciation and can, if anything, fuel deeper love for the music. Now, conversely, kindly explain and point out what has been written here by those who add some degree of analysis to the "appreciation mix" that suggests that they love music any less.

I hope that the parallels between this "argument" and the old-jazz vs. new-jazz debate does not go unnoticed. It should also be pointed out, Rok, that I haven’t seen very much "music loving" from you lately by way of music sharing, but plenty of "criticism". I also don’t see any criticism by those who do analyze of those who choose not too, or can’t. Why the other way around? Hmmm....ironic, no?

Edit: to suggest that pointing out a very interesting aspect of a music is to "approach music from an academic standpoint" as opposed to "the emotional" and to equate this to "dissecting a frog" is unfair and condescending.  In my universe it would merit at least a "isn't that interesting" or  "Hmmm, let's see, I wonder what Medieval music is like?".  Oh, well; to each his own.  
***** The main problem with that assertion is that the implication is that when there is any critical analysis there is less love for the music; that the "critic" is somehow automatically LESS of a music lover and that the listener who won’t or is incapable of being analytical is somehow a more "pure" lover of the music and is more in touch with or receptive to the emotional content in music; a ridiculous and self-serving stance. *****

Good Lord.!!  I had no idea I had said all that.   They don't call you, Frogman the Straw-man, for nothing.

What a load of Malarkey!!

Cheers

Ok, Rok, I'll play; for a little while anyway.  Please set the record straight, then, and explain what you mean by the distinction and why you make it?  Of course, all this against the backdrop of your well known and frequently expressed disdain for music critics.  

This is the second, or third time I posted Gene Ammons, and no response; there is the implication that "communications" be two way; other wise we only have an "attempt" at communicating.

In regard to the "music critic" type of response; it might be appropriate in a music school or class, but comes off as condescending here, where one is more concerned about how the music affects you; "Do you like it"? As opposed to what kind of grade you give the music.

I'm sure those of us who simply listen without analyzing, enjoy the music more than the analytical critic, which is why I always say;

Enjoy the music.