Interconnects, some have directional indicators, why?

I'm curious as to why some interconnects are directional? Is there a physical internal difference and do they generally sound better and cost more than non-directional cables? Thanks for your interest.
phd
+danvignau The shield should be connected only at the source end so that any interference that is picked up by it is reverted to the source and not transferred to the input device. This lowers the susceptibility to interference from electromagnetic signals in the surrounding and therefore improves the signal integrity. One exception is microphones where the shield should be connected at both ends so that the casing of the mic is grounded. The same applies to turntables/tone arms and battery operated equipment if no separate ground connection is used.

The shield can thus be considered as an extension of the source units cabinet.
And now we have claims of photons travelling down pieces of copper.  I guess that would be responsible for creating a truly holographic imaging experience.  No wonder this topic always sparks controversy.
  kraftsound
Linn K20 / Naim Naca 4 speaker cables are directional due to a burn in process at the factory. If they are connected the other way around they will adapt to that and after a couple of weeks they will sound the same as before. There is a small audible difference.
If this is true also for other cables there is no actual inherit preferred direction in the cables
As I mentioned in previous post, the direction of metal cable is physically made and the sound doesn't change with the length of time. I heard sounds of many 40-50 years old metal wires in vintage gears melts like butter (in sound) in 1~2 minutes.

danvignau
The current is alternating back and forth, not flowing downstream. if the current flows better in one direction, it is restricted in the other; therefore, directional wiring will absolutely make the sound worse.
The current may be as you say, but the audio signal is not as you say. The audio signal goes in with positive wire and backs out with negative wire. In RCA IC, the negtive wire in correct direction is as important as the positive wire. The quality and thickness of wire in relationship between + and - wires change many things especially the speed of sound and rythm.

The audio signal is not flowing better in one direction but behaves differently in different directions. Typical sound of wrong direction wire is hot, grain, forward, no focus with wide sound stage (like out of phase). I know some super expensive speaker brands use all their wire opposite direction to make illusion of huge sound stage (out of phase).

Alex/Wavetouch Audio
The audio signal goes in with positive wire and backs out with negative wire.
That is not correct. During one half-cycle of each of the frequencies that is present the current corresponding to that frequency flows in via the positive conductor and out via the negative conductor. During the next half cycle of each of the frequencies that is present the current corresponding to that frequency flows in via the negative conductor and out via the positive conductor. The directions of the current in each conductor continue to alternate during successive half-cycles. Meanwhile, energy is transferred in just one direction, from source to load (assuming the load is resistive), with the alternating flow of current through both conductors being essential to that process.

BTW, the "positive conductor" is often referred to as the "signal conductor," and the "negative conductor" is often referred to as the "return conductor" or "ground conductor," but the electrons and the energy that is being transferred don’t care about names.

Regards,
-- Al

@geoffkait 
the cable manufacturer listens to cables made with the first wire taken off a new large spool of wire to determine which direction sounds best. The rest is easy, no?

Something tells me you're just making stuff up here. I don't believe that for a second.