Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a 'protector' of Jazz.  Impossible task and very presumptuous.  

The music has passed me by.   I accept that.   Thank God for LPs and CDs.  Although all the players are long gone, most anyway, I can still enjoy their music.

When one of my Aunts passed  away several years ago, she was in her 90s, she wanted me to have her music player because she knew I liked music.   It was one of those big consoles with built in single speaker with Radio and a 78rpm record player under the  top lid.   As much furniture as anything.

When I opened the top, there, on the platter, was a 78rpm record by Duke Ellington.  I just smiled.  The music passed her by also.   Her music was Ellington, Basie, Cab Calloway, Fats Waller,  The International Sweethearts of Rhythm   etc........

I have many pictures of her and my mother at dances while Big Band groups played.   Everyone dressed to the nines.  Probably was not even aware that people like Coltrane and Miles existed.

My point in all this?  She stayed with the stuff she was exposed to during her young days.   I do the same.   We all do.

There is nothing to protect.   The young can no more relate to my music than I can to theirs.  

Cheers
Frogman and others,its quite true that we have not mentioned much clarinet players. In fact, must admit that I am aware of only few.
Buddy DeFranco,as you have mentioned comes first on mind. Here are couple more albums.

Art Tatum with Buddy DeFranco, from Tatum’s group masterpieces vol.7

https://youtu.be/wHG_Hpe64BQ?list=PLHrfyotDyFxJzsucdbZvIOISKkQ7s3pPC

Buddy DeFranco septet ’Live Date’ from 1959.
https://youtu.be/Hr2thPNb5_k

Its going to be very hard to find that ’Live’ album, but it is published almost entierly on ’Generalissimo’compilation
https://youtu.be/OBeA2RiFznI
https://youtu.be/NihudzS3oM8

There are many more nice Buddy DeFranco’s albums, from 50’s, few with Sonny Clark on piano

Tony Scott’s albums are also little bit difficult to find, this one could be used as starting point. Copmilation,with Bill Evans, named ’A day in New York’

https://youtu.be/4WObMpeeDWs

Here is another name, believe not very known any more, but he played with Ellington and Armstrong, among many others
Its Barney Bigard
Here is a nice swing album, with him Webster and Carter
https://youtu.be/PtmQg7LBAsI

Somebody said that when you go older you start to think that before the politicians were more honest, that prices were more reasonable and that young ones respected their elders. Well, I am 43 and already have that feeling. (except for politicians part)
But, truth to be told, somehow I do think that even in time when jazz was created, there were not many people who were devoted listeners.
Its a great pitty and maybe even a mystery to me, but its just the nature of things. That can be said for many different styles. Rock music is dead too. I am sure it had much more followers than jazz. Other music subgenres are better not to mention. Its same with many other art forms.
Much of ’grumpiness’ here I find to be a part of ’charm’ of this thread, hope everybody are all aware of it and doing it in for fun of it, not for malice
Rok, your comments over time speak for themselves. Your stances are duplicitous and disingenuous and made to fit whatever agenda you feel is necessary at the time. You have often professed to being the "protector" of jazz as just one example. There are two overriding issues here and always have been: 1. You are intolerant of other’s views on what constitutes real jazz; as if you had enough credibility on the subject to dictate that for anyone besides yourself. 2. In the absence of the ability to say much on the subject that goes much beyond the most basic or beyond "what you grew up with", you recoil and attack when others who can do.

On the subject of "elegant" and how you undermine: you obviously have no idea just how frequently musicians use the term "elegant" to describe another player’s style of playing when it suits. That’s the pity in all this, you have now dug your heels in on the subject and keep yourself from learning a small nugget of information. It’s ok if you are not interested in that kind information and always has been. However, when time and time again your constant attack on others’ definition of the music and the way that they express themselves about it (especially when these same people do not attack YOU for your musical preferences) does nothing more than bring negativity and derailment to the proceedings here,  suggests to me that there is more than "fun" at work here and there is indeed some "malice". Sad.

****She stayed with the stuff she was exposed to during her young days. I do the same. We all do.****

I’ve got news for you, no, we don’t all do that.