Interconnects, some have directional indicators, why?

I'm curious as to why some interconnects are directional? Is there a physical internal difference and do they generally sound better and cost more than non-directional cables? Thanks for your interest.
phd
Thanks posters. For the most part this is a very nice civil, well mannered discussion that everyone can share some sincere views without attacking. 
It makes it informative and pleasant at the same time.  For me anyway. Thanks to you good posters. 
If this whole site could just stay that way.  
5)If all wires are directional to a degree that is potentially audible it would seem expectable that the directional effects of a fuse wire would be swamped by the directional effects of the vastly longer associated wiring. In the case of a mains fuse that would include the wiring in the power transformer, the AC wiring within the component, the power cord, and arguably even the AC wiring inside and outside of the house.
The fuse is a weakest link. In a garden hose, only narrowest part of hose counts to pass the max water. A weakest link is very sensitive. What has happened in the weakest link is amplified huge later. A sound system is only as good as its weakest link.
6)Regarding empirical evidence that has been asked for in some of the posts above, in recent fuse-related threads Ralph (Atmasphere) has cited experiments he has performed which have determined that the same effects resulting from changing the direction of a fuse can be accomplished by rotating the fuse in its holder. And probably even more effectively. In both cases dimensional imperfections in the fuse and its holder result in differences in contact resistance, and consequently voltage drop is measurably and audibly affected.
     Ralph doesn't believe in the wire diretionality. All wire directions in his set up are mixed up. A fuse direction is not significant in an improper set up. Also, the reason he doesn't believe wire directionality is because he has never heard the difference. I can't say why he hasn't heard the difference in his long career in an audio industry.
FWIW my comments on fuse directionality have been provided in various recent fuse-related threads. See for example the first of my posts dated 10-28-2016 near the middle of this page.
     I guess they've never heard the difference either. Probably this directionality tests are done in their trusty equpments which all wires in and out are mixed up.
I am writing this to help important people like them. It is no shame not knowing this info.

I have a sound set up with relatively correct directions. I make and use my own power cords, speaker and IC cables. Anyone can hear any change in a signal chain. Also, I make my own speakers which is a most important element of all components.
Hearing is believing!

Alex/Wavetouch Audio
The fuse is a weakest link. In a garden hose, only narrowest part of hose counts to pass the max water. A weakest link is very sensitive. What has happened in the weakest link is amplified huge later. A sound system is only as good as its weakest link.

You are still thinking current flows through the fuse. It does not. You cannot use the garden hose analogy when describing what goes on with the workings of a fuse. Weakest link? Yes, only because if more energy passes through the fuse than it is designed to handle it will melt the link and open the circuit. Does the fuse restrict/limit the amount of energy needed for the piece of equipment to operate as designed?  Good question..... My guess is no.

jea48
Does the fuse restrict/limit the amount of energy needed for the piece of equipment to operate as designed?  Good question..... My guess is no.
     I don't guess something like that easy to try. I have copper rods instead of fuses in my few components. Copper rods in the correct direction always sound better.
     I am an audiophile, not an electrical engineer. I don't have an answer for your questions in your terms.
Alex
Copper rods in the correct direction always sound better.
Not always. The copper rod sounds better in some components with large electric consumption. Usually, source components will not benefit from it.
Alex