Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Orpheus - enjoyed your comments about Soul and Jazz.  You can have soul music without jazz but the best jazz music got to have soul.  

You realize of course that you and Frogman are Yang/Yin, Head/Heart, Objective/Subjective...polar opposites - but the whole is not possible without both.  At the same time, let me be quick to add, while I see Frogman's postings being interpreted as exclusively favoring an objectivist  perspective on jazz, I don't think that accurately reflects where he's coming from.  He doesn't need me to defend him.  That's not my intent.  Rather, as something of an outsider, I see merit in both your perspectives and no need for it to be one at the expense of the other.     
Excellent comments, Ghosthouse; you are exactly right. Re the objective/subjective issue:

As I see it, the main sticking point in the debate is what often seems to be the assumption by some that when objective criteria are used to judge some or all aspects of a particular music, that this automatically means that the evaluation is devoid of subjectivity or simple emotional reaction; or, that the person who sometimes analyses ALWAYS analyses when listening. Nothing could be further from the truth. As you point out, not only is there "no need for one to be at the expense of the other", objective analysis can actually help the listener appreciate MORE of what might otherwise fall under the heading of subjectivity. All this, of course, then plays into issues of the personality of a listener. I can understand why some need to keep analysis out of the equation and don’t want to be "hampered" by it and want to keep the listening experience as "simple" as possible and not be "challenged" as a listener; its a personal call. However, like you, I don’t understand the aversion to knowledge. Moreover, one of the key unanswered questions in this never-ending debate is why the "subjectivists" have no problem having strong opinions and even putting down certain music liked by others. In other words, if "subjectivity" alone is to be considered the best approach, should not the subjectivity of all listeners be respected while rendering ANY criticism moot? Why should the criteria used by subjectivists, whatever those may be, be more credible than that of those who bring SOME analysis to the equation? The pure subjectivists’ criteria are, by definition, personal; objective criteria are not.

One of the most curious aspects of all this as concerns subjectivity/objectivity and as it relates to the old jazz/new jazz debate is the simple fact that it is the staunch old jazz devotee(s?) who seem to like ONLY old jazz while I don’t think there has been a single fan of new jazz to post here that has not posted or expressed liking old jazz as well. So, to my simple minded way of thinking, just what is the problem? As you yourself have pointed out, there ARE universally accepted (well, almost 😉) basic criteria for judging SOME aspects of art. That is a hard pill for some to swallow for some reason.

Related in a very roundabout way, if arguably related at all, but came across this quote and thought it was worth sharing ☺️:

"Some days you get up and put the horn to your chops and it sounds pretty good and you win. Some days you try and nothing works and the horn wins. This goes on and on and then you die and the horn wins" - Dizzy Gillespie

My position in music is quite simple, "Everybody is right" because music is so "subjective". With a stance like that, what is there to argue about?
Thanks guys for the thoughtful and thought provoking responses and warm welcome. I’m not sure I agree with the frogman’s SD assessment of their musical craft being of a different order. But it’s one I shared prior to listening to MD. More listening and time will tell how I feel about it. I was just initially taken aback (and no less so with subsequent listening so far) to be as thoroughly engaged. So much so I needed a reality check and thought I’d drop by.