Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
**** The Frogman just wants to strut his stuff ****

As is often the case when we come to this impasse, Rok, you would be dead wrong.  Rok, you simply don't get it; so, rant away.  Now, if you were to have an honest interest about any real motivation, be open to the truth, and you can find it within yourself to communicate that and any follow up commentary in a respectful, civilized and reasonably logical way then I would, once again, try and explain it to you.  Otherwise, I think my comments have been perfectly clear.  

**** "I do not want to learn squat in regard to making music".****

O-10, I'll make you a deal.  You (and Rok) pledge to never say anything negative about a music, or make unsubstantiated and hyperbolic-to-the-point-of-humor proclamations about music (like your "Enigma" comments) and I will never again say anything that could remotely be considered "about making music".  Obviously, if you "don't want to learn squat about music", why should anyone care what you have to say about it?  Otherwise, kindly explain why your personal anecdotes and Rok's comments about his Aunt should be relevant to anyone except yourselves?  Why do you guys feel so threatened by others' (and I am far from alone) interest in what, as Ghosthouse says, makes it all tick, and by the ability and desire to express it?  If you are not interested in it, then simply look the other way.  I know why, but I'll leave it for you to figure out.  You want to control the way that others express themselves about music and what it means to them. Instead of appreciating the opportunity to glean some knowledge or, at least, understand that there are different perspectives, you want to shut it down; a kind of music fascism.  Pretty pathetic if you ask me; and mostly because all one has to do is look at what the end result is.  
***** I don’t understand what an analysis of music is suppose[d] to achieve." That strikes me as a remarkably ignorant statement*****

Well instead of name calling, why not take this opportunity to answer the question,   You could enlighten us all.

I will assume I have to remind you that no one is saying there is anything wrong with musical analysis, it has it's place. However, the question is, should that analysis influence what we think of the Jazz performance in question.

Cheers
***** Selective memory about liner notes aside*****

I was trying to show, by asking, which type of notes were the most effective influence on the buyer.   "selective memory" ?????  Read it again  

Cheers
***** kindly explain why your personal anecdotes and Rok's comments about his Aunt should be relevant to anyone except yourselves? ******

This shows you have no appreciation of Jazz at all.  You learned Jazz history in a school house.  

And, I could make the same statement about almost every word you have uttered on this thread.

Cheers
Rok - I do think you are the one that needs to "read it again". I called your statement ignorant, not you. I said "selective memory" about liner notes because I strongly suspect you are ignoring those that previewed the music in analytical terms; fairly common, I think, on classical LPs.  As far as "enlighten us", who is "us"? Orpheus doesn’t care (regrettable, but I get it). You’ve already made your position clear. Why should I bother? I will say, however that for some of "us" analysis of the music is part of the overall enjoyment and it enhances the auditory experience. This is what it achieves. Seems a simple enough proposition: the mental process goes hand in hand with the auditory process. Understanding what I’m listening to deepens my enjoyment of the music. Is that to say enjoyment without understanding is impossible? Not at all. But in my worldview (and contrary to popular opinion), the oldest profession is taxonomy. "Man gave names to the animals". Some of us like to "give names" to the music. It deepens our appreciation. You don’t accept that for whatever reason? No problem to me, just please spare "us" the pontificating about how irrelevant it is.