Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Frogman, I find it very interesting how music affect us all differently and how origins of 'taste' could be very elusive.
For reasons that I still try to understand,the sound of clarinet and accordion (even more) are the ones that associate me with almost instant and complete sadness, no matter what music is played. (slight exception is jazz on clarinet)
Here are couple of links of music played on clarinet and accordion that are not jazz, but you may find them interesting, if nothing, than out of pure cuorisity.
The music itself is from Balkans region, that was ruled by Otoman empire (as well as other powers) for couple of centuries and  those influnces can be heard.
I'll be interested to hear your comment, as well from others, if you find it interesting

https://youtu.be/0cvKvd6HynA

same guy, playing composition of A.Shaw, some 30 years before(would not guess it, by looking at cover,ha,ha)
https://youtu.be/OzD2Y9rI50I

https://youtu.be/nhiZ8lDhSJM

Very interesting comments, Alex, and I agree completely; the origins of "taste" can indeed be very elusive.  I love ethnic music from that part of the world as well as most ethnic musics.  The subject of "soul" comes up frequently here and I think it's important to appreciate that "soul" is not unique to music with roots in the Afro-American experience.  I first fully understood this the first time that I travelled to Japan.  After years of finding Japanese ethnic music unlistenable, being extremely grating and abrasive to everything that was part of my musical frame of reference, learning a bit about Japanese culture showed me just how soulful that ethnic music is.  I feel the same way about music from the Balkans and find much of it very soulful.  As far as the feeling of sadness that the clarinet/accordion invokes in you, a couple of thoughts; but, first, I would like to give anyone who will be offended by a bit of "analysis" time to leave the room😔................
..........................................................................................................
........... is the coast clear? ............................................................OK:

On the assumption that you have heard a fair amount of ethnic music from the Balkans (hence your familiarity with Milosevic) it should be pointed out that much of it features the clarinet, so I am sure that you are considering the very natural feeling of nostalgia that it may invoke in you, just as Cuban folk music does for me.  Beyond that, and this is key (pun intended).............. last chance .........................................................................................................
.......................................................................................................OK,
most ethnic music from the Balkans is in a minor key; the "sadness" key, as opposed to a major key, the "happy" key.  Music in a minor key is recognized as invoking a feeling of sadness.  Almost all blues is in a minor key.  Perhaps this contributes to your feeling.

Very good clarinetist Milosevik.  I am well aware of his son Milan Milosevik, also a very accomplished and highly respected clarinetist who works in North America (mainly Canada).  I knew his father was also a musician, but knew nothing more.  Thank you for those clips.  He's a fine clarinetist; very expressive.  It is interesting to compare his playing  to his son's who is more a product of the "internationalization" of the different styles of clarinet playing; a twentieth century phenomenon.  Less overtly "ethnic" and individualistic, but more refined and, arguably, even more soulful:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HcFTnxRMbHw

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bjv2nAhIbiQ (he plays Tarogato at the end of this)
Frogman, its good to know and understand some 'tricks' from the trade. Aldo, must add, that origin of music might have some influence (even if its not from the parts or 'culture' where I live) I have the same (sad) sensation even when I hear or listen to classical music played on accordion.
 Who would know the exact reason?
 I was 'exposed' to jazz as a child, by my parents, but did not start to listen it untill I was 23.
Needless to say, been digging it since and still it looks like there is sea of unknown music and players, all within one decade.
Will that feeling change, I cant say, will let you know all, here perhaps
Shouldn't you have mentioned The Roma People in your analysis?   Take them out of Eastern European Music and not much is left   at least according to my analysis.

Good info on minor and major.

Cheers
The possible layers of "analysis" are pracrically endless. Should I have? Possibly, depending on how deep one wants to dig; I wasn’t going there. Roma or Gypsies; fascinating history and some truth to what you say. Feel free to elaborate.