Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Frogman, glad you like it.
I believe that such sorts of accapella singing can be found in different parts of world,do you know has anybody made any comparations?

Rok, I really would not know, always I go to ytube. Why its spellled that way, with a dot between, its beyond me. Maybe it has something to do depending from which part of the world you log onto it?
But, if others are opening and listening to clips that I post, I guess you should have no fear either. I assure you that I am not trying to hack your pc
I liked it very much. There is a very strong choral music tradition in The Balkans and Eastern Europe as a whole which often incorporates folk songs. I’ve always found something very attractive about the music of that part of world. One of the distinctive qualities is the use of unique minor scales (there are different kinds) that cause the melodies to not have the usual tendencies to resolve or move the way that Western ears are accustomed to. This can give the melodies a sense of staying suspended and not resolving. One can hear the influence of early Christian music as well as folk music and, indeed, acapella singing has its roots in Christian, Jewish and Muslim religious music from a time when the use of instruments in religious services was considered inappropriate. It would not be surprising if some of that tradition found its way to the kitchen table.  Not exactly from The Balkans, one of my very favorite records is of choral works by Hungarian composer Zoltan Kodaly for girls chorus and mixed chorus. A beautiful and at times haunting sound.. That record is not on YouTube, but this is some of the music:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7_PFwnbPOn4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=denTCk20Ahw
Frogman, if you are interested to find out more about it, here is the link on english from Institute of ethnology and folklore research

http://hrcak.srce.hr/file/68112

In it, its in fact been said, how the origins of 'klapa' singing are from northern Italy (Italy is just across the sea,with strong influence, during many centuries)
But, we kind of drifted away from the jazz, dont want to be rude
If you have any questions, please ask

Ghosthouse, as you so appropriately stated, "You can have jazz without soul, but the best jazz got to have soul", and you can hear it. Believe it or not, not everyone can hear it. I think one must have a built in "soul receptor" in order to hear it; whatever it is that enables one to hear soul, you got it. That's indicated by the music you choose.

"Maiden Voyage" has been one of my favorite tunes since the first time I heard it. It's a memory I shall never forget; I was cruising in the "Deuce" down one of the main boulevards tuned to "Jazz FM", when out of the clear night came this most beautiful tune; it was "Maiden Voyage"; that added to my feeling good sense of being. Before I even knew the title, the music made me feel the calm resolve one must feel when going on a "Maiden Voyage"; as well as the sense of adventure when on a journey into the unknown.

This is at a time when I was young (in my twenties) and any time I was cruising in the "Deuce" down one of the main boulevards in the night, I felt a sense of adventure because I never knew what pleasures I might encounter before the night was over.

Enjoy the music.