Line Magnetic 219ia vs Mc225

I am currently changing things up my system. I am looking to purchase a tube amp and have narrowed down quite a bit. I am unsure however, whether it would be more wise to go with a SET design or a push-pull design. The two amps in particular that I have in mind are either a Line Magnetic 210ia or 219ia SET 845/300B amplifier, or a vintage mc225 push pull amp with 7591 tubes of course. I waved the idea of a primaluna around but am pretty set on the two amps I’ve mentioned.. More will be familiar with the mc225 than will be with the line magnetic, but they get stupendous reviews and feedback, placing them as some of the best out there, next to shindo etc., in the tube amp world. The 225 obviously has its cult following as well, and is renowned and said by many to be maybe the best Mac amp of all time. (doesn’t matter)... anyway..

I am predominantly a record listener, but also listen to some digital and CD. My source pieces consist of a VPI Classic 2 turntable with a Soundsmith Zephyr 2 cartridge, an OPPO 105, and a Marantz 7701 preamp/ phono stage.

I have sold my previous speakers, and will be picking up a pair of 60’s vertical cornwalls this week. 102db obviously means that i do not have to consider wattage as a factor at all. I listen at low to moderate levels generally. Even 2 watts will have the cornwalls blaring. At this point the consideration is quality of wattage and current. The current will be responsible on the power to drive the 15" bass drivers in the cornwalls way more so than the wattage. The line magnetic SET amps will have no issues driving my speakers as they have large quality made transformers and move tons of current.

Here is the thing. I listen to jazz, classical cello and bass arco works, etc etc. I like soft rock as well. I also listen to very aggressive forms of rock. Hardcore, metal, thrash/speed metal, power violence, sludge, crust punk, etc etc. Those familiar, know what i mean. I am unsure on whether to go with a SET amp or PUSH PULL. Will one suit me better, or does it not necessarily matter, and either should do just fine? I know that the mc225 is known for being tubey, however natural, tight low end etc. The 219ia is known for being extremely transparent, refined, with a bold tight low end, beautiful 300B midrange, etc. Read Steve Huff’s review of this amp if you are unfamiliar. He calls it just about the best amp he has ever heard..... However will it does for the heavier stuff i listen to? This music is listened to on LP form more than less, and is recorded well and many are analog recordings.

Any input by those familiar with these two amps OR with push pull/SET amp comparisons in their own setups, please chime it with advice. I do appreciate it!

jkull
@waltersalas I can't speak for your Line Magnetic amp but in my own amp a PP EL34 I picked up some Sylvania 6SN7 GTB's from seller realdeal on here back in March and they sound fantastic. He seems to have more for sale:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tubes-sylvania-6sn7-gtb-nos-platinum-matched-octet-2016-11-27-acce...

No affiliation other than having made a satisfying purchase. Happy listening and congrats to Jkull on your new amp have fun rolling those 12ax7's!
Hello Walter,
Some people say that the VAC REN 30/30 may be a bit sweeter and organic than the more powerful 70/70 (if you don’t require the additional power). I can’t comment on that comparison but I believe that both are terrific amplifiers . The Coincident Frankenstein is superb for my needs however I feel that the LM 508ia is also superb and a wonderful match with your Daedalus Ulysses speakers.

A friend of mine had the Absolare Passion Signature 845 PSET mono blocks and we listened to a variety of 845 tubes. NOS RCA,Elrogs, Shuguang, Psvane Hifi and their W.E.Replica version. The best sounding were the Elrog and Psvane W.E.Replica, these two stood out without question in our opinion.

Elrogs are Uber expensive and can have some reliability issues. The W.E.aren’t nearly as costly (although they aren’t cheap either) proved to be very reliable and sound excellent. Overall in terms of value and absolute sound quality I enthusiastically recommend this tube. Your 508ia is high caliber and will exploit the top quality tier of tubes.
Charles
Walter,
I just realized that I am talking about the 845 and your 508 uses the 805, Oops! I'm thinking about the 219ia that does use the 845. I don’t know much about the 805 but if Psvane makes one I’d look into it. Their upper tier line of tubes are consistently good.
Charles
Hi Chris (Waltersalas),

Regarding 6SN7 upgrades, a point to be aware of is that depending on the specific design of the amplifier in which they are used vintage 6SN7GT tubes (as opposed to GTA’s or GTB’s) may or may not be suitable. If you were to consider a vintage 6SN7GT I would suggest asking the distributor if it would be suitable for use in the 508ia before making a purchase.

Specifically, the vintage 6SN7GT is rated for a maximum plate voltage of 300, while the GTA and GTB are rated to be able to handle 450 volts. Also, the maximum plate power rating of the GT is 5 watts per tube and 3.5 watts per section, while the GTA and GTB ratings are 7.5 watts per tube and 5 watts per section.

Some and perhaps most recent production tubes that do not have any of those suffixes conform to GTA/GTB specs, so depending on the specific design a vintage 6SN7GT might not be a suitable substitute for a recent production tube identified only as a 6SN7.

Also, I believe the VT-231 that was suggested is equivalent to a 6SN7GT, and does not meet GTA/GTB specs.

Finally, FWIW I had used a matched quartet of 1950’s Sylvania 6SN7GTB’s in my VAC Renaissance 70/70 for a couple of years, with great results. One of them eventually developed a microphonics problem, and I replaced it and its counterpart in the other channel with a matched pair of 1950’s General Electric 6SN7GTB’s, which I have found to be excellent performers despite their low price. Along the way I’ve also tried Raytheons (pretty good), CBSs (yuk), and initially a new set of VAC-supplied Chinese tubes (one abruptly shorted out in a rather spectacular manner after two hours of use, and I haven’t let any of the others get anywhere near my system ever since).

Best regards,
-- Al

Hi Al,
You make an excellent point. I am investigating the amp's design to see whether are any compatibility issues with any of the 6SN7 types. Thanks for the reminder. Thanks also for your tips on specific tubes. I'll scout around for a pair of GE tubes, once I determine if I can use them in the 508. Who doesn't love great tubes at a low price?

Charles,
This is my first experience with the 805 tube as well. I will look into the Psvane. Don't they also make a highly regarded 6SN7 tube?

jond,
Thanks for the recommendation. If the 508ia can work with this type, I will give it a whirl. They look nice and the cost is not prohibitive.

jkull,
I have no doubt that the 219 is spectacular. I would have loved to hear it head to head with 508, but circumstances did not allow. Also, the 219 is a bit beyond my budget, although I think the LM amps represent great value at all price points. Like you, I listen to all kinds of music, so I need an amp that can accommodate a wide range of music. With the right tubes, I think the 508 is going to be just the ticket. It is still clearly breaking in, but the soundstage is beginning to open up and the bass is gaining depth and focus. I have no doubt it will continue to get better and better over the next few weeks.

I appreciate everyone's posts.