Power Cable DIY - Please advise

Hi,

Im planning on building a pair of DIY power cables, I have shortlisted a few cables and connectors, please feel free to recommend which one to purchase.

Furutech FP TCS31
Acoustic Revive Powermax 10000
Acrolink ???
NeoTech NEP 3200

connectors... Furutech FI 28/E38 or FI50 gold or rhodium??

Thanks in Advance
narcissus
@ Dave, I was really calling this BS until you confirmed my doubts that the metals of the receptacle and male connectors need to be matched identically.

Im planning on getting the Porter ports wall inlets from Albert Porter, I think they're bronze.

Any advise on good wall inlets? I'll make sure to mail Chris @ VH Audio asap.

thanks
Hi narcissus,

I have the PorterPort and I feel confident in recommending it. It imparts a clean and uncolored sound. Sort of a reference of neutrality IMO and gets along well with a variety of cords. A no-brainer at the price.

If you decide you want something that ads more life, air, and soundstaging presence to the sound, I like the Synergistic Research Teslaplex SE. I wish to disclose that I have all SR cords and cabling in my system as well as a Powercell 10UEF/FEQ, so YMMV.

All of the receptacles need several days to settle in before judging. I run an extension cord to our garage fridge for a week, changing between the two outlets on the receptacle at mid-week. Even then, they need a day or two to settle in once the cord(s) is disturbed.

Best to you narcissus,
Dave
@ Auxinput,

Thanks for the heads up on the Neotech NEP3200..... I will surely look into it.

The FI28 seem more within my budget as opposed to the FI50 & then the NCF (which are absolutely not even under consideration)

The PorterPort is probably the least expensive choice in an outlet upgrade. It’s basically a cryoed Hubbel hospital grade outlet. Keep in mind that it’s made of brass (just like most other stock outlets are). The "cryo" and the additional current capability is good though. Brass conductors will have a very fast and clean sound, but they can sound sterile in some situations. For the price, it’s a modest upgrade to stock outlets.

I have not heard the Synergistic outlets, but I have been hesitant to spend money on these since Synergistic does not tell us what material they use (brass, copper, bronze, silver, etc.). It may be very good, as Dave has said.

Typically, gold plated terminations/conductors can slow down the sound somewhat - give a more laid back or lush style sound (while still keeping high frequency response). The rhodium plated will give you resolution and detail and punch, but the rhodium can reveal flaw/problems in your other parts of the part cord (i.e. receptacle, fuse, etc.). So, yes, careful matching is important, but the rhodium sound excellent when you match up properly. Silver plating does make a very fast and clean sound, but I have found silver to be somewhat artificial (the voices and sounds just do not ring naturally). This is my own personal opinion, many people like silver.

I have found recently that un-plated copper terminations/outlets will give a blare/ringing in the midrange, so I cannot recommend these at all.

Take a look at...
http://image99.net/blog/index.html

It's a bit more advanced DIY, but they are exceptionally good.

I use them throughout my system

Regards...