Setup question

A brief setup question if someone doesn’t mind helping me out. In my family room, I currently have a 5.1 setup with a HK AV receiver, 2 JBL towers and JBL everything else (which will be upgraded to PSB sooner than later). I wanted to add vinyl to my family room setup but my receiver does not have phono in. I bought a nice Rotel turntable and NAD amp that can be used as a pre, power or integrated amp.

My question is, what is the best utilization of this equipment? Should I go turntable > NAD (pre) >HK? Or should I go turntable>NAD (integrated) >speakers and use the speakers for both setups with a switch?

Thank you in advance for your help.
128x128eli_tackla
e_t,

Two questions that will help with the best setup, as far as sound quality is concerned.

1. Does your HK receiver have pre-outs for the front L&R channels? What model is it if we want to look up the specs?

2. Is the NAD an Integrated amp? What model is it? Does it have a built-in phono pre-amp?
@reubent ..The HK is an AVR 125. As far as I can tell, no pre outs for L&R channel. The NAD is integrated. The model is NAD 3225. The NAD has a built in phono pre-amp for sure. And thank you for taking the time to check this out.
Consider a reasonably good Phono Preamp like the Audio By Van Alstine Vision (Absolute Sound Product of the Year Award) $499.00 or a Black Cube SE (on the used market). Experiment with your existing components and utilize what ever configuration sounds best. I would go two channel for your analogue front end and try to eliminate any type of switch to select speakers. There's all sorts of options; if the NAD has a phonostage (that is suitable for use with your cartridge), you can use that and utilize different pre amp / amp  /integrated configurations with the equipment you have,  until you come up with the best sounding.
Good luck
Assuming you are keeping your system 5.1 for audio and video:

You can use the NAD as a phonostage only by connecting it to a line level input on the AVR from the record out connection on the NAD. 

Otherwise I would consider purchasing a budget outboard phonostage. What TT/cartridge do you have?