Just wondering...

Sorry about the poor choice for the title but I just couldn’t compress my question into only a few words. I’ve been watching A’gon to find a good deal for a decent DAC in the $1K price range to improve my CD listening experience. As I look through the listings, I see DACs priced in tens of thousands - saw a Boulder 2020 with retail price of $32K listed for $15K. Probably an awesome bargain for somebody. To some degree I can understand speakers selling for crazy prices partly justified by their sound as well as their "furniture" value. I’m also sure a $20K pair of speakers will still sound incredible ten years from now. I can even sort of get amplifiers being a little crazy in price but they seem to last forever, at least technology-wise. I’m still loving my 35 year old McIntosh amp but can’t imagine using the same DAC even three or five years from now. What am I missing? Can a $32K DAC sound that different from a $1K DAC?

128x128kalali
Price is not a factor in sound obviously.  But depending on any component, there can be significant differences in sonic quality.  To some degree this can be a really big improvement.  Someone mentioned something about profit, yeah make something and sell it and then tell me how much profit you think you will make!  I make DHT DAC & preamps, the parts alone in my DAC are $3K not including the chassis, shipping box, etc.  As mb1audio02 says, " $32K DAC sound that different from a $1K DAC?"  Yes.  So how will my DAC compete 5 years from now?  Good question.  My answer would be I can upgrade my DAC if/when the technology changes.  Second, you'd only find a few DACs that can sound like what I produce, and probably no body has heard a DHT DAC or a DHT preamp.  It is hard to design and build a product and then make a profit.  Every website for each manufacturer says theirs is the best for what ever reason.  You can find a bunch of opinions on all of the audio websites from people about what product is the best and what makes a difference in a system.  You have to try for yourself.  Most people do not have the experience to know what the differences are or what to look for to improve the sound in their system.  And cost also plays a big factor.  I don't have any tricks with my products, just listen and buy if you decide that is what you want.  I can make any component to a price point.  I can also advise you what on what changes or upgrades will get you to the next level.  Most manufacturers don't have the time to do something like that.

randy-11 if you aren't doing blind listening tests you are the rightful prey of the snake oil salesmen

Randy-11, if you have to do a blind listening test with one of my products, and you don't hear a difference within 30 seconds, then don't buy any of my products. 

Also if a $1000 sounds as good as a $30K DAC then don't buy the $30K DAC.  You have to take a look inside at the design to see what's really going on.  Circuit board with the same old chip set?  Or a design that is something special.  Custom wound transformers, power supplies, point-to-point wiring, copper chassis, cap selection, resistor selection, you need to get to understand how a product works and how it can make a sonic improvement.  Once you understand that, you can find products that will make an improvement in your system.

Happy Listening.  

"  Every established business wants to live on foolish and rich and will apply all possible and impossible tricks to convince."

If you actually believe that, I really don't see how we could have any meaningful conversation. That's a pretty extreme statement, and being a business owner myself, I know that I don't fit your description. You may not believe it, but it is possible for a survive by treating customers right and not playing tricks. 

" I'm not rich, but wealthy and the reason why I am is because I do math the following way: How not to spend much on automobile maintenance, how not to spend much on energy, gas, healthy meals, comfortable quality apparel and certainly home and pro audio! Believe me my profession IS finding right numbers just about for anything around me. I breath with numbers, figure out mind behind each word written or spoken WITH numbers."

I have no doubt that you are very good at whatever you do for a living, numbers or otherwise. But that doesn't mean you can see things better than anyone else. I'm an MBA. I know several people here are engineers. We have some equipment manufacturers as well. And the list goes on.

Anyway, you didn't get the point of my last post. I understand that you are capable of eating healthy, fixing your cars or whatever. I believe you, and don't doubt a word of it. I was trying to say something else. If, for example, you called a company that makes dac's and asked them how much they pay for things like chips, or any other parts that go into the making a product, they won't tell you. And if they do give you a number, 99% chance they're lying. That's just the way it has to be in business. And as a result, you'll never know what they pay for the parts that go into their machines. 
maybe "nobody" does blind listening tests, because "nobody" doesn't understand science

I know quite a few consumers who do them and many manf.s who do
" maybe "nobody" does blind listening tests, because "nobody" doesn't understand science"

Or maybe DBT's aren't necessary to select components and listen to music. 

"I know quite a few consumers who do them and many manf.s who do"

Like I said in my last post, I have yet to see anyone use DBT's in any meaningful way. Your post just reinforces what I'm talking about. You claim to know the science behind all of this, but you can't provide any real info or examples to support your position. Knowing a few people just doesn't cut it. You seem to have an ax to grind here. Maybe you're unhappy because your system is lacking. Why don't you list all of your components and let us help you out.