Help, My Vandies Sizzle

Hello All, first time posting here, but have enjoyed reading all the posts for several years.
Recently purchased a pair of used Vandersteen 2Cs listed here on A-gon from a great dealer in Hollywood, Florida.
They replaced a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RX8s a few months ago.
 Dedicated listening room with a dedicated 20A circuit, 14x14x8, wood floors over concrete slab, alcoves and bi-fold closet doors allow for some respite from the dreaded "square-room bass boom", heavy area rug covers most of the wood floor, a couple of upholstered cloth recliners, and artificial trees on sidewalls at first reflection points and at front wall between speakers.
Speakers are positioned 7 feet apart, no toe-in, 2 feet from front wall, 3.5 feet from sidewalls, listening chair is 10 feet from speakers. (All measurements measured from tweeters).
Gear is Oppo 103, Krell s300i (integrated). Cables are Anticables.                                                                                   
The problem is a slightly bright sound on most discs, with a definitely hot treble on some, bordering on un-listenable.
Using the mid and treble controls, have tried reducing them by 3 dB. That helped some.
Otherwise, love, love, love these 2Cs.
Not interested in getting back into vinyl.
Will consider any and all suggestions and thank you all in advance for so much good information.

Tom
tomcarr
Some great advice here.  Just like to add my that a new/used integrated with AQ cables is my recommendation.  The Belles Aria is a great integrated for less than 2k.  Best of luck to you.  Oh, and the advice given about John R @ Audio Connection is some of the best you'll get.  He will help you get your Vandys singing.  Regards......

So Tom if you didn't think they were thin and forward and hurt your ears you would love them. If my ex wife had a heart and wasn't such a ^$$%^(^  I would love her. 
Thanks so much for all the input. These 2s were built in 1979-80, according to Richard Vandersteen. They have the 6-inch stands which are not adjustable.
All drivers are working correctly. For 99% of my albums, I love the sound though it is slightly tipped-up. One percent are unlistenable because of how recorded.
I have followed all recommendations for setup as per the owners manual, and also what Jim Smith recommends in his book Get Better Sound.
Bob, thank you for your kind offer of loaner cables. I might take you up on that.
I have been suspecting the Krell might be the culprit. I also have an NAD and a Denon I could switch out and listen...
I will check out TAPJ, and also contact Johnny R.
Funny, of all the systems I've owned since the 70s, probably the most musical was a PS Audio Elite integrated with Vandersteen 1Bs... 
Thank each of you for taking the time to respond.
Will post more as things progress...

Tom
How set are you on keeping the Krell integrated?  Try a McIntosh, Pass, or Luxman integrated and I bet you end up lovin the Vandys

If your finding only 1% unlistenable you are golden . You can muck about for a long time and try a great deal of equipment to get that last 1 % . Such a small percent maybe some new wires ? 
More to discover