Line Magnetic 219ia vs Mc225

I am currently changing things up my system. I am looking to purchase a tube amp and have narrowed down quite a bit. I am unsure however, whether it would be more wise to go with a SET design or a push-pull design. The two amps in particular that I have in mind are either a Line Magnetic 210ia or 219ia SET 845/300B amplifier, or a vintage mc225 push pull amp with 7591 tubes of course. I waved the idea of a primaluna around but am pretty set on the two amps I’ve mentioned.. More will be familiar with the mc225 than will be with the line magnetic, but they get stupendous reviews and feedback, placing them as some of the best out there, next to shindo etc., in the tube amp world. The 225 obviously has its cult following as well, and is renowned and said by many to be maybe the best Mac amp of all time. (doesn’t matter)... anyway..

I am predominantly a record listener, but also listen to some digital and CD. My source pieces consist of a VPI Classic 2 turntable with a Soundsmith Zephyr 2 cartridge, an OPPO 105, and a Marantz 7701 preamp/ phono stage.

I have sold my previous speakers, and will be picking up a pair of 60’s vertical cornwalls this week. 102db obviously means that i do not have to consider wattage as a factor at all. I listen at low to moderate levels generally. Even 2 watts will have the cornwalls blaring. At this point the consideration is quality of wattage and current. The current will be responsible on the power to drive the 15" bass drivers in the cornwalls way more so than the wattage. The line magnetic SET amps will have no issues driving my speakers as they have large quality made transformers and move tons of current.

Here is the thing. I listen to jazz, classical cello and bass arco works, etc etc. I like soft rock as well. I also listen to very aggressive forms of rock. Hardcore, metal, thrash/speed metal, power violence, sludge, crust punk, etc etc. Those familiar, know what i mean. I am unsure on whether to go with a SET amp or PUSH PULL. Will one suit me better, or does it not necessarily matter, and either should do just fine? I know that the mc225 is known for being tubey, however natural, tight low end etc. The 219ia is known for being extremely transparent, refined, with a bold tight low end, beautiful 300B midrange, etc. Read Steve Huff’s review of this amp if you are unfamiliar. He calls it just about the best amp he has ever heard..... However will it does for the heavier stuff i listen to? This music is listened to on LP form more than less, and is recorded well and many are analog recordings.

Any input by those familiar with these two amps OR with push pull/SET amp comparisons in their own setups, please chime it with advice. I do appreciate it!

jkull
Listened to my Original Epic pressing of Pearl Jam’s Vitalogy the other evening. The 219ia smothered any mention of what my previous 500watt SS monoblocks could make of this album. It’s a great album to use as a basis as the songs are dynamic and have a lot of ups and downs in power and presentation.

its funny to see how the discussion of the 'first watt is the most important' is a such a true statement.  
I've got a rather simple question. I have been listening to vinyl since getting the 219 but have just been trying some digital through it as of last night with my oppo. My question is, I am running the oppo direct into the 219 and using its pre amp. Prior to the 219 I was running my marantz 7701 with XLR running out of it into my sub. Now that the 7701 is out of the mix, how am I hooking the 219 up to the sub?   I have no idea lol.. someone fill me in here with this simple answer please thank you
If the sub provides speaker-level inputs (some do, some don’t) you would connect it to the speaker terminals of the 219ia, together with the connections to the main speakers.

If the sub provides only line-level inputs, since the 219ia doesn’t provide pre-outs (line-level outputs of its preamplifier section) the likeliest alternative would be to connect the sub to the Oppo. Either RCA outputs of the Oppo, using a splitter if necessary (so that those outputs could be connected to both the sub and the 219ia), or XLR outputs if they are provided.

You would then have to adjust the sub’s level control each time you change the 219ia’s volume control, to keep them in sync. Or, alternatively, if the Oppo provides a volume control you could use that control to change volume, and perform a one-time determination of a specific volume control setting on the 219ia and the sub that would always be used with that approach.

This assumes that the sub provides inputs for both left and right channels (if, as it appears, you are using just one sub rather than two). If you are using one sub and it only provides an input for one channel you would have to use a mixer of some sort to sum the left and right outputs of the Oppo together, with the output of the mixer being provided to the sub.

Another possibility is that you might be able to find a suitable speaker-level to line-level converter. I’ve seen such things offered over the years, at low cost, although I have no knowledge of their technical parameters or their sonic quality.

Regards,
-- Al

Al. I have an SVS PB13 ultra. No speaker level outs, just rca and XLR. I have the oppo RCA analog outs connected to my 219. Earlier I connected the oppo via XLR L channel analog output, into the SVS and something was NOT right. I got signal through to the sub but it was clearly audibly wrong with what I was hearing. I felt like I was hearing highs and miss come out the sub as well...the sub has L and R inputs.

should i try the 'SW' labeled RCA out of the oppo into the sub instead?? 

i cannot see it necessary to manually adjust my sub when adjusting my 219 volume. That sounds primitive and odd to me???? I would rather not use one if It cannot correlate in volume as I adjust the 219... ugh

Adjust the oppo volume is a no go as well. The volume control on them is useless. It is not like a normal volume control and should be at 100 at all times. Decreasing it sucks the life out of the sound terribly. Oppo likes to pretend the 105 can be used as a pre amp. Not even close.
Earlier I connected the oppo via XLR L channel analog output, into the SVS and something was NOT right. I got signal through to the sub but it was clearly audibly wrong with what I was hearing. I felt like I was hearing highs and miss [mids?] come out the sub as well...the sub has L and R inputs.
The only thing I can think of that might account for that would be if the sub’s menus are set such that it is expecting its input signals to have been subjected to bass management, which I presume the Oppo does not provide. If so, you should be able to resolve that by changing various settings in the sub's menus.
i cannot see it necessary to manually adjust my sub when adjusting my 219 volume. That sounds primitive and odd to me???? I would rather not use one if It cannot correlate in volume as I adjust the 219... ugh
Agreed. That would be very undesirable.
Adjust the oppo volume is a no go as well.
Then I guess the only remaining possibilities are not using a sub, or buying a different sub that provides speaker-level inputs, or trying to find a suitable speaker-level to line-level converter.

Regards,
-- Al