Minimalized Speaker Length

Wouldn't it make sense to put my power amplifier output terminals as close as possible to the input terminal of my speaker? 

I see all these very expensive speaker cables and how they do this and that, and many discussions about their characteristics. 

In practical theory, why not just eliminate the cable altogether and run say, a 6" cable (or even less) to the speaker?! 

Save all all that money and 'coloring' of the sound?! 

Would not be this be the most ptlractical and 'purist' way to go? 
All the best recording engineers chose the minimum path possible in pro studios. Why not apply this practice with speaker cables? 

I'd enjoy hearing from the AG community on this. Thank you. 
128x128rocketroom
Long ICs in a non-balanced system would also degrade sound far more than longer speaker cables. I say do away with all the IC cables, power cables, jacks, connectors, long signal paths inside of gear, and save more money while achieving the best possible sound by purchasing an integrated amp with built in pre, amp, dac, room correction etc...

MEridian had the best design idea decades ago: run a digital signal up to the speakers, decode it, and design an amp for each driver (or set thereof) which is next to the driver.

But the idea has to be implemented, and done so for a reasonable price.

I prefer monoblocks next to the speakers, with XLR cables to the amps - I prefer that but don't do it...
Thank you for all your posts. Good discussion and input here!  Here's a bit more info for you more experienced audiophiles  ---->  
  My preamp has 6 balanced outs. I have six matching stereo amps, planning one at each speaker in a bi-amped SACD 5.1 surround setup. Thinking to build my own XLR interconnects w Mogami or Canare quad cable and Neutik conn's versus mounting all the amps in one rack and running a whole bunch of expen$ive speaker cable. Any more thoughts based on this idea? 
Don't.

Put the amps as close to the speakers as you can and make the long runs be high-level (pre to amps) using XLR cables

inexpensive speaker wire will be fine; use spades over bananas if possible

take the $$ you would have wasted on woo-woo cables and buy better speakers - if you already _have_ better speakers - something in the 20 kilobuck range, then keep them and use the money to build a new listening room

after that, you can either use spendy cables to alter the sound in the system or just buy tone controls
Presumably you mean minimal speaker cable length; most speakers are not too long.

Several British amps of yore did not include an output inductor on the amp, rather using the inductance of the speaker cables to provide the inductance necessary to stabilize the circuit. Exposure, Onix and Naim come to mind. Using them with more than 3.5 meters of medium to high inductance speaker cable is required to keep the amps stable. In return for this, the output inductor is completely eliminated.