Wadia 850 repair? Suggested replacement?

Hello,
I have a Wadia 850CDP I have owned since around 97-98 (I think). About 5 years ago it developed a problem with the loading mechanism and a CD got stuck. Wadia was able to repair and all was okay till about 2 weeks ago. Now there's a grinding sound when the drawer opens and as it reads the CD and now it will occasionally skip. I have contacted Wadia (now ARC owns them) and I'm told they no longer support it :-(
Does anyone know of a place that might be able to fix it? Preferably in the NYC area. If my fear is realized and it can no longer be repaired, what do you guys suggest as a replacement? Preferably under $5k. TIA and Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas!
jcatral14
mb1, I read online reviews of SE after and saw a lot of people get treated the same way. I just spoke to the guy over the phone and didn't like his "tone". One of the reviews mentioned In Living Stereo and I called them up. Unfortunately they don't repair but I was referred to Technetron in Midtown so i might bring it there but probably after the holidays. City traffic is a zoo this time and I'm not going to lug a 40lb CD player in the subway lol. Have not heard from Steve yet but it is the holidays.

Jay
Got a reply from Steve! He regrets not being able to repair my unit as he does not have access to parts any more but he did recommend someone. He says that when he closed down GNSC he put out a list of qualified/willing techs that would work on stock or modified gear they were known for. One of them is Ben Jacoby in Brooklyn with "High End Audio Repair". Anyone here have experience with Ben? Although if Steve will recommend him then I believe he is more than capable of repairing my unit :-)

Will keep you guys updated. In the meantime, have a great weekend coming up. Hope Santa's good to you ;-)

Jay

PS I'm now reading up on Resolution Audio and maybe next year will add the next upgrade to my system in the form of a Cantata Music Center 2.0. Seems like a logical step for me to move into a network storage based system :-)
" One of them is Ben Jacoby in Brooklyn with "High End Audio Repair". Anyone here have experience with Ben? Although if Steve will recommend him then I believe he is more than capable of repairing my unit :-)"

I don't know him, but I have heard good things about him.

It just occurred to me that Wadia was bought out not long ago by the group that owns ARC and McIntosh. Even though this is the third time for them, I think its a good thing. The company is now well funded and they brought back some of the original Wadia people. Your 850 was made during that era, so someone there has direct experience with it. Quite often, when a business like this changes owners, the buyer ends up with some NOS parts. I would call them. You have nothing to lose.

This is a long shot, but I would also ask Wadia if you can use a transport from one of the other players. The upgrade for my 861 to SE status was just the transport. Maybe they kept the old ones. Find out if they're compatible with the 850, and if they are maybe they'll give you one.
I'v used Ben before. He's great.  He fixed my Denon DCD 9000 DVD Cd player.  
Another person i also recommend is Scott Gramlich at SG Custom Sound in Douglaston Queens is also really good. 
www.sgcustomsound.com 
Number is 718 224 5083