Repair a Sony SCD 777ES?

My 12 year old Sony SCD-777ES stopped working today. After the disc is inserted and the cover closes it makes some unhappy grinding and clanking noises as it attempts to spin the disk. It also switches automatically to SACD mode even with a redbook cd, but never starts to actually play the disc.

Can these old Sony's be repaired? It is a decent player and an excellent transport for my dac, I hate to just junk it! Any recommendations on the best way to get it repaired?
stickman451
Steve,  My files from the mid-2000s indicate that the sled motor is a Mabuchi RF-300CH 11400. 
Are you guys still listening to this spinner?

The old Sony repair center in Laredo TX is now in Michigan.
There are other authorized Sony/Sony ES repair techs in other states as well.  Happy Listening!
Hi Jafant,  I moth-balled my heavily modified SCD-1 for an Esoteric K01X with Rubidium clock.  There is not a huge difference in performance, but only after modifying the Sony to the point that it became unrecognizable as such.
I still listen to CDs as well as vinyl. The SCD-1 is the best digital source I have. So I am very motivated to get it working again without issues. It would be a shame for a $3 motor to prevent enjoying this excellent CDP.

Hopefully, the sled motor can be replaced. There are 2 reputable electronic repair shops within 25 miles of where I live. The Sony recommended repair facility is in NY (United Radio Service). Did not get a good feeling about sending it there after I called.

I tried to remove the transport assembly to perform the maintenance recommended by dgarretson. Two corner screws came out easily with the correct screw driver, but I messed up the head on the other 2 screws with the wrong size screw driver and cannot get them to loosen.  Lesson learned. I am going to the local repair shop next week.

Good to see you- dgarretson

I liked the Esoteric for SACD playback only. DV-60 model.
I have not auditioned the true higher end spinners.  Happy Listening!