Wilson Audio Haters

I've always wondered why there are so many people out there, that more than any other speaker manufacturer, really hate the Wilson line. I own Maxx 2's and also a pair of Watt Puppys. They are IMHO quite wonderful.

Why does Wilson get so much thrashing?

128x128crazyeddy
This was a BS test for you bo, and you failed miserably. "different modified Marantz sources" is not a MODWRIGHT-modified Marantz, Sony, or Oppo.

I am satisfied at this point that you are of the "only my sh!t doesn't stink" ilk and are to be ignored going forward.

Dave 
Post removed 
Thank you for the lengthy description of 2D bo. Despite the ignorance plaguing board discussions at times, I for one find all this very interesting.

Great stuff It brings another question to mind. Will we see, hear rather a 4D or even a 5D system any time in the the near future, or even in our lifetime? Maybe I am jumping way too far ahead of technology.

I am going to have to give a big AMEN to dlcockrum and jmcgrogan, thank you both.
I think the polarizing attitude for Wilson is the pricing.  It never goes down but only up, although I agree they are not the only one.  The latest offering (the WAMM) is just ridiculous, not matter how you cut it.  I suspect the price is just for shock value.  I am sure it is well made and sounds good, but REALLY good speakers (and companies) find ways to make really good sound at a price more people can afford.  Sadly, this is rare.

One thing I notice is that it seems to me that this is the time that affordability should be embraced.  Once the well-to-do boomers push through the upcoming generation will be left with an out of control escalation of prices that few can afford.  Moreover, if the hope is nonexistent, you don't focus on it.  I enjoy the highest end like anyone else, but being an audiophile I can at least have some context to appreciate it.  But to outsiders, or those ambivalent to audio at least, it is just ridiculous.  The latest WAMM is $685K, and when you stop and look at what that can get you, especially not considering luxury goods, it makes it even more outrageous.  You can buy an airplane for that. 

I think as well that although Wilson has done well, in the grand context they really have done nothing new or revolutionary.  True, the WATT/PUPPY combo is the best one sold, but it was also one of the first, and the originals always sell.  But in terms of technology that has really pushed the art and science of speakers forward, Wilson has not been one of them.  The used available drivers. Magico has pushed the boundary of enclosure design with all-aluminum boxes and pushed further with cone and driver design. Focal has brought us EM woofers, TAD brought us concentric beryllium drivers....Wilson just made speakers, albeit good ones.  Were they ever the best?  Maybe.  But it is debatable.   But certainly at the forefront in cost, and the further out of reach something becomes, the more anger it generates.  And it is easy to be the industry "whipping boy" when you have the recognition of Wilson.  I suppose every hobby has its own Wilson.