Which pre should I choose?

I have an Accuphase A47 to drive my Dynaudio Coutour 1.3SE. I want to choose a pre-amp to match my power amp. and the speaker system. I prefer classical music. My room is not big. But I like warm and sound with thickness. Do you have good suggestion? How about Ayre's K1XE or Audio Research R2 MKII?
faust168
"...but Ayre K1XE is not easy to find one here in Taipei, there is one in 2nd hand K1 (not K1XE)  store which offer at US$3300. I do not know what is the difference between these two models."

Hi faust,

The K-1 was the first model and can be upgraded to the K-1xe by Ayre for a relatively modest cost. Agree with George that it is a superb preamp and a bargain at those prices.

Best to you faust,
Dave

The commodity is in Taipei, Taiwan. It is far away from U.S.A. The commercial flight would take 13 hours from here to the states and you have to take transportation to and fro cost into consideration which will push up cost too.   I have read a report that the volume knob in the K1 or K1-XE ( I don't remember clearly about the model), might cause some small noise if the user do not turn the volume up and down often. 

Also, K-1 is a quite old model. I am afraid the components inside might get too old to change it's original tastes.

Therefore, how do you think it is still a bargain to get a K-1 without upgrade?

You could mix and match with different preamp and power amp though it's a question of personal preference. Personally I would rather stick with the same manufacturer for both pre and power for synergy and/or compliance with technical specification.

Thank you for your kind opinion. For the purpose of budget consideration, do you think it is good idea to have an Accuphase C-290 (almost 20 years after launch) with my latest launched A-47.

"I have read a report that the volume knob in the K1 or K1-XE ( I don’t remember clearly about the model), might cause some small noise if the user do not turn the volume up and down often."

faust,

I think you misunderstood the report. The volume control itself makes noise when turned up of down, but this complex volume control was created just to ensure maximum elimination of any noise whatsoever in the audio circuit and makes the K-1/K-1xe one of the quietist preamps ever.

I have owned the K-1xe for seven years and never had any noise issues whatsoever with the volume control.

Best to you faust,
Dave