Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Ghosthouse, and Rok, since the both of you are so into the deeper meaning of "Watership Down", I sincerely wish you guys would clue me in on this deeper meaning.

I watched the movie, looking for this deeper meaning but didn't find it; won't be the first time something intellectual has eluded me.

Could you two highly enlightened intellects, cast a little of that light in my direction so that I might join you.

Thank you.

Since I needed a new cartridge, I took the liberty of giving myself a Christmas present of the "Grado Master 2", and I give it my highest recommendations. I'm enjoying LP's like never before.

That also means I will refrain from those lively "new jazz, old jazz" debates. According to Dr. John, that great Louisiana Philosopher; "There are only so many croaks in a frog, so many barks in a dog, so many grunts in a hog, and so many beats in a heart". Seeing as how people younger than me been dropping like flys, I'm going to heed his advice and not waste another precious beat of this week heart of mine.

I'm enjoying old jazz that sounds "brand new"; it's so coherent, I don't have to wonder "why did he do that, just where is he coming from"; this music sounds like it was made for me.

Speaking of old jazz, I was perusing this double LP of the Max Roach, Clifford Brown Sextet, that is absolutely fantastic; the best sextet ever, bar none. While this is a double LP, you can accomplish the same thing on CD by getting "Study In Brown" plus "Max Roach and Clifford Brown"; that music rates five stars, but I know you already got it.

I'm enjoying music like never before, and I know you're doing like wise; Continue to have a happy holiday.
If you do not mind, I would like to recommend couple of films.
I find them both to be excellent. If you guys find the time to see it, would be courious to hear your coments about it.

The Oscar winner for 2014, foreign language film, 'The Great Beauty'
https://youtu.be/koxRDhAQOpw

Maybe the best film ever about pressure society places on us to find a soulmate. 'The Lobster' from 2015.
https://youtu.be/vU29VfayDMw

O-10:

I read that book 41 years ago.   Senility prevents me writing a book review / report.   It was a serious book, which your cartoon movie does not do justice.   It will give you a great appreciation of animals and the struggles they face.   How the most innocuous and normal things to us, are deadly to them.  Dogs, Highways, and farming are just a few.

Our pet dog chasing rabbits is funny or cute, but we should think of it, as us being chased by a full grown male lion or even Tyrannosaurus Rex!   :)

Read it.   It's never too late to read.

Cheers
***** I'm enjoying LP's like never before.*****

I will never understand how you 'audiophiles' can spend a small fortune on Amps, Pre-Amps and 'wire' in an attempt to hear perfection, and then nullify it all by using an ancient technology like LPs as a listening source.  Have the clicks and pops gone?  How can a cheap $400  per foot piece of wire cause ear bleeding, but the noise and distortion of LPs does not.

I need answers!!

Cheers