Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Got new stuff by Les McCann and Dee Dee Bridgewater over the holidays.   Will report later.

Alex:  I received the Christmas CD by Kenny Burrell that you posted.  Thanks

Cheers

O - 
I too read Watership Down many years ago...probably on the order of 30.  Recollection of details a little vague.  I haven't seen the movie you linked to.  No idea how faithful it is to the novel (though I have my doubts).  Watership Down is not a cutesy animal story a la Disney's Bambi.  Rok said in his reply to jafant, "It's about us."  That is true.  In that regard, it is too complex to have one single message though I'll repeat there is a deeper story there.

Rather than say it is about a "rabbit society", I should have written it's about a "rabbit community".  Somewhat like Orwell's Animal Farm, Watership Down is an allegory about human society.... though not as narrowly political and I think much more complex, textured and nuanced than Animal Farm.  It tracks the pilgrimage of a community of rabbits as they seek a new safe home having been warmed of impending disaster by one of their visionaries.  They face many perils and temptations in their travels. There are personality clashes, power struggles, moments of great doubt and crisis.  The portray of rabbit society is well-realized...they have their own mythology, a unique vocabulary, and a distinctly "rabbit" world-view.  

It's a great book and like Rok said, not to late to read.  
Note to self:  Not to late for re-reading, either.

Rok, "Analog" is not even in the same country as what we knew, neither is the price. Remember all those king of the hill TT's like Dual and Girard; they wont cut it now.

When CD first came out, and those "Audiophiles" were saying "What's the big deal"? I thought they were all on crack, or jealous because we had something as good as them, and much cheaper, but it wasn't necessarily so.

To make a long story short, it's only worth it when you got a lot of LP's; they can sound new all over again.

Every time I think I got almost everything by Less McCann, you come up with something I don't got; can't wait for the review.

Enjoy the music.

Ghosthouse, I really and truly love rabbits; I use to see them in our back yard,  I figured they lived under a big bush next door, and the guy cut the bush down, now I got no more rabbits.

When I was a kid in the country, there was nothing more fun than chasing rabbits with our dogs. The dogs never caught any, but it sure was a lot of fun; rabbits like to double back on their trail, so no matter how far the dogs went, they always came back.

I enjoyed the movie and understood how changes in the environment harmed rabbits and a lot of other animals. Due to a decreasing habitat, I've been told there are coyotes in the city. I just now read where coyotes are killing pets in my neighborhood; hope we ain't got no mountain lions in them there woods.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/newsblog/2013/12/19/how-to-keep-your-dog-from-getting-eaten-by-a-coyo...

After you've read it again, I'll be looking forward to that deeper meaning.