Wilson Audio Haters

I've always wondered why there are so many people out there, that more than any other speaker manufacturer, really hate the Wilson line. I own Maxx 2's and also a pair of Watt Puppys. They are IMHO quite wonderful.

Why does Wilson get so much thrashing?

128x128crazyeddy
dlcockrum:
No offense taken.To put the matter in better context, as I listened to them from at least 15 feet away in a seated position, the sound from the speakers seemed to be noticeably even with and below me. This caused me to not feel enveloped by the sound, a feeling one should feel with any high end floor standing speakers. In many years of shows, visits with dealers, etc.in which I have heard hundreds if not thousands of speakers, I had never felt this sensation before. In fact, I had never considered image height as an element of the sound field prior to this although I was aware of its salutary presence when listening to line source or other large (6 ft+) speakers.
In any event, I stood up merely to confirm for myself that the sensation was not an illusion. It clearly was not as it sounded as if the music was stuck underneath a shelf. I have never judged a speaker before or since by standing up as I have never felt that sensation again and I don’t listen to music in a standing position.
bdp24:
You are absolutely correct--the speakers in question were the Vandy 7s. It seems you may be attuned to this sensation. I can say that I’ve heard of Brooks Berdan’s shop and it is universally held in high regard. Nevertheless, I have not heard this problem with any WP or Sasha and certainly haven’t heard it at Innovative Audio in NYC or in my listening room where WP 7s and then Sashas have been in residence for a combined 14 years. That being said, if you favor line source and some planars, I could see why the Sashas (and probably quite a few others) don’t work for you in that regard.
I wish all a happy, healthy etc.
bo1972

I simply must know. What medications should I take? Would that prevent me from going 2d? 

There is probably demand for the WAMM from the Asian market. I hope he sells them all. I have owned Watt Puppy 7’s. They were Brooks Berdan’s demo speakers from his showroom. They replaced Martin Logan Odysseys. Years later I am now retired and upgraded to Maxx 3’s I bought from Sunny's. It’s a much larger and more dynamic speaker compared to the WP/7’s.
I hear you, why do some of our fellow audiophiles have such "strong" opinions?  Hey, if a speaker "floats your boat", good for you!

I bought my current speakers (Focal Sopra No2's) about a year ago.  The search took me to showrooms with many a fine speaker brand, including the Wilson's, but I just like the Focal's, for my hearing, they were more pleasing.

Having said that, I have friends who have Wilson's and love them.  My response, "good for them".
Ivan:  I agree;  you see the same thing with high end cars.  People with financial means can gain entry, but whether there is any ability to extract the best or appreciate it is another matter entirely.  I can think repeatedly of seeing fine high end sports cars being driven as family sedans, with no expectation of extracting an inkling of its potential.  The item is itself a status, nothing more.  I suspect audio is no different, and for those whom have been in audio for a while can appreciate, but not afford, the items others can afford but not appreciate.  I think part of it is that the "earning of the right" to own expensive gear is often not due to years of audio experience but financial prudence (however that is attained).  I think deep down a part of it is envy, but a lot of high end companies make gear explicitly for the well heeded, not necessarily the audiophile, and after a while, one develops a sense (to them) whom these companies are.