Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Fortunately, new musicians are judged on a different basis from the way I judge them; I compare them to the masters, and that's somewhat unfair, but so be it.

New musicians are judged by the needs of the populace for "live" entertainment, and that's the basis by which they are judged. An example of a group that did well in New York, that get's a "what tha---" from me, is "Kid Creole and The Coconuts". I have a record of theirs that I'm sure is like new because I never play it. I liked their first hit;

http://us.napster.com/artist/gary-smulyan

That was Dr. Buzzards Original Savannah Band, and then they changed to "Kid Creole and The Coconuts"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC658OJpclE

My point is; I want to sit in the sweet spot, listen and go on musical journeys, while other people want to go out and be entertained; that's good for new musicians, and I'm glad for them.

Enjoy the music.
It appears as if our OP has finally experienced an Epiphany.  Welcome to the club.   Better late than never.

Cheers
Is it epiphany or regression?

At the risk of casting pearls....
From Takeshi Nishimoto's "Lavandula": 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGEeRgiQsXE&ab_channel=TakeshiNishimoto-Topic

Might not be jazz and if it is, sure ain't old school  - but it's beautiful.

Greetings in the new year.

Lavandula was nice; it definitely takes you on a musical journey, and it most certainly is not "Stereotypical". some might say it's not "jazz"; so what, either you like it or you don't, and I like it.

Takeshi Nishimoto is someone I've never heard of, nor does he sound like anyone I've heard; that's good, it makes me want to hear whatever else he has to offer.

Thanks for a good clip.

Very pleased to hear your take on it as a musical journey, O.

After I posted the link was thinking exactly that and how it related to your earlier post. The whole LP does indeed make for a nice musical journey. Master Nishimoto is a superb tour guide. The entirety will be worth your while, if you are so inclined.

Personally, it took a while for me to get my head around it. Couldn’t make sense of the individual compositions initially. It kept drawing me back though...maybe ’cause the sonics and textures are so appealing. Anyway, some things really do get better with repeated listening.