Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
Yes, sometimes there is additional circuitry to Icepower modules.  For instance my small Rowland has additional instrumentation amp (THAT1200), that improves common mode noise rejection as well as increases standard 10k input impedance to 40k.  Box is pretty indeed, but since it is solid billet aluminum chassis - board inside is acoustic resonance free.  There is a purpose to that - but when manufacturer puts Mosfet stage in a plastic blue box, calls it fancy name "Analog Cell", describes it as class A with no feedback and inserts picture of the board with this blue module in their literature - then it makes me very suspicious.  Not only that using "class A" is to pray on non-technical people, but also second statement is not true.  There is practically no stage without feedback.  Even resistor in the emitter (or source) of transistor is a form of the negative feedback.  First stage might be outside of the global negative feedback, but calling it "no feedback" is again praying on the common believe that "no feedback" is a good thing.
Because of all that I'm very suspicious about additional Mosfet stage used for the "voicing".   We also have to assume, that B&O engineers, that are fanatic about sound, and Jeff Rowland neglected to properly  "voice" it.  Would people buy this amp, after finding in the sales literature, that the company just packaged inside standard inexpensive Icepower modules?  Most likely not and that's whole reason for the "puffing".

http://www.psaudio.com/stellar-m700-mono-amplifier/
The useful purpose of a custom input stage on most Icepower amps is to raise the input impedance  (10K to start with on older versions at least) to enable good performance with higher output impedance tube pre-amplifiers. Its a performance/integration enhancement not just there for "coloration". If pre-amp is lower output impedance SS there is no benefit at least on paper.

Benefits of improved power supply in any amplifier should be obvious.

The PS Audio amps are being built as a lower cost alternative to their higher priced fare.

i Wonder which class D power module PS is  using in the Stellar monos?  I would think they'd be sharp enough to audition the newer Abletec and Pascal modules and compare them to the Ice and Hypex to use the best performer.  Anyone know?  Guido?

Thanks,
  Tim