Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
What they call "Analog Cell" is just class A Mosfet input stage very common in many class A or AB amps.  It sounds like a lot of hot air (for class D).
Some sort of input buffer is almost always required to eliminate input offsets in the comparator and that sort of thing (which is also where most of the class D artifact actually arises). But this does sound like marketing.
So the ICEPower and Hypex modules have a built-in buffer, but the configuration is such that manufacturers can bypass it and implement their own if they want to. Without the buffer the input impedance is very low for line level.

This allows manufacturers to add their own sweetener/secret sauce to the amps. Anything from a transformer input, to MOSFETS, op amp, whatever you want. The modules like ICEPower also conveniently provide a 12V source.

Other differentiation can be done in using the ICEPower modules without power supplies built in. This, again, let's manufacturers make their own linear supplies, or whatnot and claim further product differentiation.

Best,

E

i Wonder which class D power module PS is  using in the Stellar monos?  I wouldthink they'd be sharp enough to audition the newer Abletec and Pascal modules andcompare them to the Ice and Hypex to use the best performer.  Anyone know?  Guido?

Thanks,
  Tim

Tim,  though it is not not very clear as to which exact module is being used, but I venture to speculate PS Audio is using the ASC700 Ice Module.  I think the amp nomenclature M700 sort gives a hint.  If you look up the specs as far as power, it is rated at 700watts into 4 ohms.  I might be wrong however.
h2oaudio/Henry,

Makes sense that PS is using the B&O ASC700 Ice module when comparing specs. I think you're right since I found this quote from Ps Audio owner, Paul McGowan, in one of his newsletters:

" The Stellar mate to the Gain Cell DAC, the Stellar S300 and Stellar M700 amplifiers have B and O modules in them for their power amplifier outputs, and what we call an Analog Cell for their inputs. I’ll explain what that is in future posts. It really makes them quite magical sounding."

Thanks,
  Tim