Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I completely understand. I'm not exactly constantly running for my Dolphy records when I can listen to so many others. But, man, that solo in that Mingus clip is so out and bizarre that I can't help but love it; or his solo on Nelson's "Blues And The Abstract Truth". What would life be without Rocky Mountain oysters? :-)
Today's Listen:

Benny Carter & Orch -- FURTHER DEFINITIONS

On Saxophone, we have Benny Carter, Coleman Hawkins, Charles Rouse and the ever present Phil Woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSsOPdJBRPo

I don't recall Phil woods being on my CDs when I purchased them. Now he's on them all!

Really a great CD.

Cheers

Roland Kirk was one of the most unusual, inventive and creative musicians ever; he drew inspiration from old music and musicians to make new music, as well as play instruments I've never heard of, and play three or more at the same time.

"The Delta Rhythm Boys and the foxes by a landslide". Who said life was fair?

Anita O'Day is the jazziest jazz singer ever; she sang a song I've never liked, but when she sang it, it knocked me dead. The lady got style; the way she walks, talks, everything about about her says she is one jazzy lady, did you dig the way she scatted on "Tea For Two"?

"Afro Cuban All Stars", I'll get back to you on that one.

Frogman, could you lead us into new Cuban music and musicians?

Enjoy the music.
O-10, Afro Cuban All Stars is a great place to start; I will let you take the lead with that. Their great sound is, overall, more traditional than this band, NG La Banda, who were responsible for literally creating "timba", the hottest musical style in Cuba right now being a mix of the sounds of traditional, salsa, rumba, American R&B and even hip-hop. They were formed by ex-members of the very influential band Iraquere. Smoking hot rhythm section (their drummer is incredible) and very interesting and prominent horn section writing. (It should be noted that "salsa" is really not a native Cuban creation, but a style created by the ex-patriate Cuban community in the US along with the Puerto Rican and Dominican communities, with traditional Cuban music and dance forms as the main ingredient):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ditQMDiW8gw
The Alpha and Omega of Cuban Jazz. The 'new' stuff can't hold a candle to this.

One Frenchman's opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IujAxx7rjEE

Cheers