Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, you completed missed the thrust of what I was saying re the influence of the native music on the "Hollywoodization" of it on soundtracks. Also, interesting that you suggest we "do the math" since math is an important element in the building blocks of any music and is so at a level that goes to the key point you missed. What distinguishes most a native music from a commercialized (Hollywood) version is not wether the music is played on native instruments vs Western orchestral instruments; instead, it is WHAT is played by any of those instruments. In the example I gave it is the use of (among other things) minor pentatonic scales like the Native Americans used. THAT is what gives the music it's unique flavor kore than anything; that's the influence. Similar relationship in the case of jazz. Anyway....
O-10, I agree with much of what you wrote about Cuba; although, in at least one case, for possibly different reasons.

After many years of being a supporter of the embargo I came to support to support the lifting of the embargo several years ago; here's why: The idea that the average Cuban would benefit greatly from the lifting of the embargo is partly a myth. There is no question that there would be some benefit to the average Cuban; but; it is, in fact and as is usually the case in Communist countries, the elite that see the real benefit. Look at the present situation where Cuba has trade relationships with much of the world (except the US) and Cubans still have an incredibly low standard of living. They experience a great deal of hardship, not to mention political oppression. Even medical care is, in spite of the hype, very limited; but, very limited for everyone, unless you have the money (elite). The reason that I came to support the lifting of the embargo is that the move would take away one of the last (possibly the last) excuse that the regime has for why that system does not work; IOW, it would no longer be the US's fault.

There is no question that change will come to Cuba. However, we have been waiting for a change for more years than anyone imagined. Sadly there are many people in power there with a vested interest in the status quo, and a system in place that will make change very difficult and probably not a reality for many years to come.

Rok, in order to understand my specific comments in regard to Africa, the berimbau, and capoeria, we have to focus on the history of "Bahia"; but first, I would like to respond to some of Frogman's comments that are related.

There is no doubt that many different kinds of rhythms, and drumming that existed in Africa, no longer exist there, but can be found in other places. How is this possible?

Before slavery, Africans were living all over the continent in villages, if they lived far away from powerful countries and tribes, they lived in peace; but when slavery put a price on African heads, powerful countries, and tribes captured and sold them. Different villages had different drumming and rhythms, they were exported west, first to Cuba, which was "the board of trade" for slaves, and then to wherever their final destination was to be. Things that were unique to many villages, no longer exist on the continent of Africa, but they can be found where those slaves final destination was to be.

For my specific comments, we have to focus on the history of "Bahia". It was a center of sugar cultivation; integral to this was the importation of a vast number of slaves; more than 37% of all slaves taken from Africa were sent to Brazil, and processed in Bahia, and that's another reason for the unique rhythms that can be found in Bahia, but not in Africa. I don't mean for this to be a diversion, our focus is still on Cuban music.

Enjoy the music.
I agree that lifting the embargo would have a minimal effect for the majority of the Cuban population. I was fortunate to have lived with a very lovely Cuban lady for over 6 years, she came over during the Mariel boatlift (a marielita!). During that time her family embraced me and I learned quite a bit from the Cuban perspective. An interesting point is that while it may be called communism, in truth, it's nothing but a dictatorship. While Fidel has remarkably lived longer than most, Raul, his brother and successor also seems to be in for the long haul. The economic landscape has irretrievably changed for Cuba. When Castro took over, the country was on the brink of becoming a major player with major U.S. companies setting up shop there and it's ports being considered as a major gateway to Central & South America. Castro changed all that, and now I doubt the companies would move back there and the import/export business has found a new outlet in S. Fla. Add to this the fact that there's at least one, maybe two generations of Cubans who have been born under Castro's rule, they know of no other system! If the average Cuban wasn't willing to fight for change before, they're even less prone to do so now. The war crimes committed under Castro's rule, from the pillaging of the nations wealth to the human rights atrocities, the likes of which remain largely unknown to most Americans, warrant nothing less than the hangman's noose for the Castro brothers! Whew! Bet you guys'll be glad to get back to some Jazz talk!;)
You guys had me so confused I had to reach for my man Hugh Masekela. Then one thing led to another. I don't know who influenced who, just good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Caj_4DPnTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87S_wbCsNbQ

I recommend: "The Best of Hugh Masekela". Every track a winner!! I also learned that Vasco Da Gama was not a friend on mine. I think.

Cheers