New Technics SL 1200 GAE

Anyone acquired a new Technics DD 1200 GAE? Has anyone not been happy with the stock arm and changed it?
nkonor
In the meantime if you could post your initial findings on stock out of the box thoughts. They would be appreciated.
OK- We took the machine apart doing a complete analysis. I’m very familiar with the older machines; I own one and have serviced them over the years.

The GAE is a ground-up new design, one that is intended to look like a 1200. I think that is unfortunate as it leaves people wondering what Technics was thinking. But that aside:

The machine uses four methods of vibration damping control in the plinth. The platter is more massive and is also damped. The motor has more torque (up to speed in about 1/8 turn) and the speed is rock steady. Speed wise it sits about 80-90% of the way to the top between the SP-10 MkII and SP-10 MkIII. That makes it one of the most speed stable turntables in the world, quite unlike the original 1200s.

The arm is nothing special but is easily removed. With a Triplanar installed this is a world-class machine that takes on much more expensive machines with ease. Technics has a lot of servo experience; in this case they applied it to an entirely new design that is computer based rather than an analog chip set. To that end the firmware appears to be updatable via a USB connection.

Initially we were looking at lifting the motor and circuitry out of the chassis and installing it in a new plinth. However upon opening up the machine it was obvious that Technics was aware the vibration damping is a serious issue. As a result while I think our initial plan would be better, its well past the point of diminishing return! This is an excellent machine and has a place in the high end pantheon of turntables.

I’m not a fan of the arm, but I’ve seen worse and it would be no worries to set it up for balanced operation.
OK- We took the machine apart doing a complete analysis.

Thoughts on the adjustable torque control setting?
The stock setting is pretty good. It takes a bit to stop it, but if you let go its up to speed really fast. It might win a little bit to tinker with it, but it seems that is at a point of diminishing return already. In the meantime, if you are using a Sutherland Timeline, when you set the needle down on the LP its quite steady.
The reason I brought up the torque control was a previously posted statement that once set to manual, and then adjusting with the "pot"
there was a positive result in decay etc.

Audiofun
trust me, adjusting the torque profile will give it to you and then some.

@andysf

I don’t find the looks of the SP 10 to be more attractive, in any case.

Really? Maybe the stock technics obsidian plinth is not attractive at all, but if you put your SP-10mk2 in a good wooden plinth (like i did with mine, click here) it does looks much better and can accept any king of tonearm including "12 inch.

Chakster:  Not knocking the SP 10!  I would be very happy to own one but am wary of buying one used.  Your plinth looks great but the SP 10 was designed for professional use and looks the part: a bit clunky and 70s bland.  I didn't say it looked bad-just not any better than the SL 1200!  I really like the looks of the Thorens 124 or the Garrard 301.  In modern turntables I like the all wood SOTA and the Kuzma S (pipe bomb).  This is all a matter of taste, of course.  Some tables look better than they sound...

Atmasphere:  I would also be interested in how changed the torque might effect the sound.  One poster felt that reducing it had a very positive effect.