Is there somewhere I can check vinyl sound quality?

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I am new to vinyl. Although only a few months, I seemed to be buying a lot of mediocre sounding records and only a few really good one. One problem also, some records have so many different versions, how do I know which version to buy and where to get them?

I wonder if there is somewhere I can check vinyl sound quality of certain vinyl records and do some research before I spend the money? That would save me a lot of money if I can just buy a record which I know that it's going to sound good...

Thanks for your help!

blueram
Those guys over on the Steve Hoffman forum take their vinyl VERY seriously. Check there for discussion of any specific titles you are interested in.

Dave

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I am buying mostly new, it is hard to find old ones where I live and I like finding out new artists. Yes now I will try to avoid Back To Black, 4 Men With Beards, Plain Recordings and Legacy reissues, also Sub Pop, Jagjaguwar and Dead Oceans. But they do have some good ones, hence I think it would be a good idea if there is somewhere I can check the quality before I spend my money.

I will certainly check out Steve Hoffman. I have visited Analog Planet. But Michael Fremer’s taste of music and mine are too different. Most of the audiophile releases he reviewed are too expensive for me. However, I find it helpful when he reviews an album I listen to.

Here is a new website where listeners are invited to rate their records on sound quality:

http://hisonvinyl.com/

Being so new there is not a lot on the site yet, but you can register yourself and help it grow to become more and more useful.

From the site:

"How It Sounds On Vinyl is the first and only database website dedicated to document the sound quality (SQ) of vinyl records. A vinyl record buying/collecting guide for all vinyl lovers, vinyl nuts, or just an occasional vinyl record buyer.

How It Sounds On Vinyl is a one stop spot for all vinyl record buyers to quickly find out the SQ of a vinyl release. Although we do compare different releases of the same albums, our main objective is to provide informations to help vinyl buyers purchase good sounding records, and to avoid spending money on the dud ones. How It Sounds On Vinyl is NOT a music review website."

if you have an android or iPhone get Discogs app there is a huge amount of information there and it also lets you maintain a catalogue of your records and what pressing they are. its free as well