Is there somewhere I can check vinyl sound quality?

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I am new to vinyl. Although only a few months, I seemed to be buying a lot of mediocre sounding records and only a few really good one. One problem also, some records have so many different versions, how do I know which version to buy and where to get them?

I wonder if there is somewhere I can check vinyl sound quality of certain vinyl records and do some research before I spend the money? That would save me a lot of money if I can just buy a record which I know that it's going to sound good...

Thanks for your help!

blueram
if you have an android or iPhone get Discogs app there is a huge amount of information there and it also lets you maintain a catalogue of your records and what pressing they are. its free as well
I've had good luck with Japanese vinyl in terms of production quality. Also, through trail, error, and experimentation some good finds can be had by paying attention to the label and time period. For example, Crown Records put out some good stuff during the 60's. Same thing for Mercury.

The hunt is just part of the hobby. I've found some absolute great records in the "used" bin. My method for checking quality: examine jacket, record sleeves [many times old, well-preserved parchment-like is a good sign], check record for scratches/wear under good light. Does this always have great result? Well, no; but I have been satisfied more often than not. Example: Miles "Porgy & Bess",  Bill Evans "Solo Vol. 1" and Wynton Marsalis debut record of the same name. Total outlay for all - under $10!

If you go the used route, be prepared to invest in a some sort of cleaning/restoration regimen. I use the Spin Clean RCM, then finish up with Perfection hand-held steam cleaner. Looks like Perfection brand is discontinued, but another good pressurized spouted steamer should work. Just make sure you have a way to protect the label from steam. I use a small "finger bowl" that covers perfectly. Hope this helps. Good luck and ...

Happy Listening!
Oh yeah ... Acoustic Sounds has a "pre-owned" section - complete with quality grading system. For used, they tend to be a bit pricey, but good deals show up from time to time. 
I like the Steve Hoffman website for sure. I also find that in general, some artists vinyl seems to have better sound. Joni Mitchell, Steely Dan, Neil Young, Dire Straits, Paul Simon, Van Morrison, The Doors. Then others, not so good: Led Zepp, Crosby, Stills, Nash, Allman Brothers. There are always some exceptions.... For instance, David Crosby: If I could Only Remember my Name is wonderful. For Joni Mitchell, I believe Bernie Grundman did Hissing, and Hejira.