Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Well, Orpheus, guess we can all say that 'Things aint what they used to be'

https://youtu.be/rRK0AQX9rho

https://youtu.be/9ux3HxLcEjI

Mel Rhyne, organ player on many Wes Montgomery albums, from 1960. album 'Organ-izing', together with Blue Mitchell, Johnny Griffin, Gene Harris, Albert Heath and Andy Simpkins

Its possible that I have posted that abum before...

Mel Rhyne's music has a similar feel as Wes Montgomery's at that time; it hit's the sweet spot for me. Alex, do you know whether or not that CD or record is available? I could listen to music like that all day long.

I'm enjoying your music.

Did I ever tell yall about the time I was a "sideman"; I was a "sideman" at a musician's brother's party.

We were at a small party, having a good time drinking fine liquor and enjoying good music, when the host suggested that we all had some kind of musical talent. (I know this story would sound better, if I said I was at a musicians party, but that ain't the way it happened)

I can drink fine (free) liquor and enjoy good music all night long (at least I could at that time, which was a long time ago) but I can still enjoy good music, as long as it's not all night.

Our host had a variety of very basic musical instruments hanging on the wall and laying around: a tambourine, bongos, harmonica, whistle, flute, plus others I don't remember. He gave me the whistle, my lady friend the tambourine, and passed around what was left to guests who wanted to participate, then he put a record with background music on the turntable, and gave us direction on what to play, and when.

The music was a little rough in the beginning, but I got the feel of the rhythm from the drums and tambourine, and tooted my whistle like I imagined "Bird" or "Trane" would toot their horns. Once we got the feel from his direction, and the background music, we continued on after the record quit playing, and it began to sound like music.

I simply felt the music others were playing, and made sounds that corresponded to what I felt, from the music they made; believe it or not, we made credible music.

We had a lot of fun, and he proved his point that everybody has "some" musical talent.

That made me think about "Sidemen"; they can sound ever so good, until they decide to make a record as leader. I had been listening to one of my favorite sidemen for years, and wondered when he was going to make a record as "Leader". Finally he made a record; I couldn't wait to get to the record store, it seemed like the car was going too slow, I wanted to fly. After I got the record back home, there was the anticipation of finally hearing a record where he was the leader.

I hate to use the word "disappointed", but that's the only one I can find at the moment. My expectations were not quite met would be a better way to put it. This has been repeated many times down through the years; so much so, that I've come to the conclusion that there are sidemen, and there are leaders; if I had been a musician, I believe I would have been a sideman, not everybody is cut out to be "leader man".

Enjoy the music.
*****not everybody is cut out to be "leader man".*****

This is especially true if they play Drums,. Bass or "whistle".

Cheers