Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Nice Frogman!

Was listening early this morning and listened to this. Great Sunday morning music.

Every time  I play organ music my wife yells out " All Skate" and starts skating around the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMT01czdwFg
It really was a remarkable time in music, O-10.  Yes, that is NYC in the album cover picture and what an amazing place for music it was in 1956.  One year before I was born and still is an amazing place for music; different, of course.  

I've enjoyed your recent posts for their open mindedness and even handedness; especially the comments about the evolution of the music.  To not have that evolution as an essential part of the backdrop for any commentary about this music is to not really understand it.  Thanks for that.  I like your "fresh water/salt water" comment and would only point out that salmon (and others) can live in both salt water and fresh water.  Moreover, and as we all know, they swim upstream to spawn in fresh (!) water away from the coziness of the salt water home base.  Important symbolism here; I think.

As you just did, films have occasionally been mentioned on this thread.  Going back to that great pic of Thad Jones (and the pigeons 😊), you will notice, in the background, the theater marquee advertising the 1956 release of the film "The Seven Wonders Of The World"; classic and amazing documentary in "Cinerama" (1956 version of "IMAX").  I think its fair to say that we all consider Jazz to be one of the artistic wonders of the world.  (The film is available on dvd and highly recommended)

Thad Jones was part of one of the most amazing musical families.  The Jones brothers, Thad, Elvin, and Hank were three of the most important players to play this music.  Especially, drummer Elvin, I think.........but, WAIT!!!! .... I think I better check with our resident grizzly bear before making this assertion.  I may have to interrupt his lunch as he eats the salmon swimming upstream on their way to FRESH water to make sure my comment passes jazz-muster...... Hmmm, I wonder if Jelly Roll liked salmon? 😝

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rxMtbeWRObs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DHIxXtMeotM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lFnHuWR5MsE

Believe it or not, I had no idea those guys were related; too much talent for one family. Although I have enjoyed music made by them individually down through the years, I still didn't know they were related.

We're keeping the music in Rok's favorite time frame, and while it's for sure the artists are not new, this music is most certainly new to me, and I'm enjoying it; keep it going.

*****fresh water, salt water, time travel, salmon, grizzly bears*****
what is this, the Old Testament of Jazz?

Time is the interval between two events.

Cheers