Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, time never started, therefore it can not stop.  Whatever minute you can think of, there was a minute before that, and the same goes for after what ever minute you say that time has stopped, another minute will follow.

Feeling is what separates music from noise; it's that incomprehensible connection we share with other human beings on planet earth, that enables us to communicate when we don't share the same language.

I am of the opinion that extreme "audiophiles" like sounds as opposed to music because they are obsessed with high and low frequencies where almost no music is found; that might also explain why they touch and go on this thread, and to further confirm my opinion, they never like components that expand the music, preferring those that can play loud at the two frequency extremes.
O-10:

***** it's that incomprehensible connection we share with other human beings on planet earth, that enables us to communicate when we don't share the same language. ******

Good post.   I often wonder about this.

***** they touch and go on this thread*****
Spoken like a USAF vet. :)

Cheers
Time:

You aren't thinking about it the right way.   Time did start, and it will stop.

Cheers
If one wants to suggest that a "true" music lover should be prepared to have a very thick skin and deal with a certain amount of unfriendly and provocative "dialogue" just for the sake of participating in a thread about music, then I may be willing to concede the "touch and go" point....maybe. However, as I have expressed before, I simply don’t agree that the reason that other posters don’t stick around is lack of love for the music. I hope there is room in the discussion of this subject for a different opinion without things sinking to unpleasantries. I care about this subject since I would love to see many more posters here and, if we can agree on one thing related to this, it ahould be that, as with all issues, if it doesn’t get discussed nothing changes.

In my opinion, based on my observations about thread participation here and, by participation in other music threads by those very same "touch and go" posters, the reason that most of those posters don’t stick around is not lack of love for this music nor because they are "extreme audiophiles". One only needs to revisit some ot the series of posts that the "touch and go" posters participated in and what was going on re the style of interaction taking place between other posters or involving themselves. I also hope that we can agree that there has been a whole lot of stupid and unpleasant squabbling. Moreover, and most importantly, there have been several instances when new posters felt demeaned or insulted for their taste in music. Personally, I don’t see just what is so difficult to understand about the reality that this can’t possibly be an incentive to stick around; love of music or not. Who wants to deal with or be around that nonsense? I would strongly suggest that every participant here be less "exclusive" and more inclusive in general attitude when interacting with others; not to mention inclusive about the music itself. Sure, there a lot of boneheaded audiophiles who have no feel for music; but, there are far more who are music lovers. This shouldn’t be an exclusive "club" for the "hip" and "knowledgeable" Jazz heads who are all too eager to proclaim what is jazz and what is not in a way that turns others off to participation. The potential of this thread is not even close to being fully tapped. My two cents.