Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Time:

You aren't thinking about it the right way.   Time did start, and it will stop.

Cheers
If one wants to suggest that a "true" music lover should be prepared to have a very thick skin and deal with a certain amount of unfriendly and provocative "dialogue" just for the sake of participating in a thread about music, then I may be willing to concede the "touch and go" point....maybe. However, as I have expressed before, I simply don’t agree that the reason that other posters don’t stick around is lack of love for the music. I hope there is room in the discussion of this subject for a different opinion without things sinking to unpleasantries. I care about this subject since I would love to see many more posters here and, if we can agree on one thing related to this, it ahould be that, as with all issues, if it doesn’t get discussed nothing changes.

In my opinion, based on my observations about thread participation here and, by participation in other music threads by those very same "touch and go" posters, the reason that most of those posters don’t stick around is not lack of love for this music nor because they are "extreme audiophiles". One only needs to revisit some ot the series of posts that the "touch and go" posters participated in and what was going on re the style of interaction taking place between other posters or involving themselves. I also hope that we can agree that there has been a whole lot of stupid and unpleasant squabbling. Moreover, and most importantly, there have been several instances when new posters felt demeaned or insulted for their taste in music. Personally, I don’t see just what is so difficult to understand about the reality that this can’t possibly be an incentive to stick around; love of music or not. Who wants to deal with or be around that nonsense? I would strongly suggest that every participant here be less "exclusive" and more inclusive in general attitude when interacting with others; not to mention inclusive about the music itself. Sure, there a lot of boneheaded audiophiles who have no feel for music; but, there are far more who are music lovers. This shouldn’t be an exclusive "club" for the "hip" and "knowledgeable" Jazz heads who are all too eager to proclaim what is jazz and what is not in a way that turns others off to participation. The potential of this thread is not even close to being fully tapped. My two cents.

Touch and Go posters:

We are touch and go posters on other threads.  I post on other threads, but very seldom.   If something grabs my interest, I post my 2 cents, with no intention of ever posting again.  Most often my Post pertain to Polk Speakers, and they are ALWAYS ignored.  I understand why, so it does not bother me.

There are Jazz threads here that never last very long.   What is the explanation for that?  I think it's because Jazz is a small niche in popular music, and the type of Jazz we talk about, is a niche within a niche.

Most of the players we talk about are long dead.   Some folks like to talk about artists that they can go to a concert and hear live.   Artists that are making new CDs and LPs today.   Players that are currently active.

There is nothing wrong with this thread.   It's lasted a long time.  We have only a handful of regulars, but that is better than trying to feign interest in music that is not real.

Besides, I don't see anyone on any other thread going out of their way to keep from hurting someone's feelings.  I can testify to that from experience.   If fact, the first time we encountered each other, you called the moderators on me.   And I was talking to a third party!!!   The first thing the OP said to me was "Did anyone ever tell you, you are crazy?"   Asked if I was still taking my meds.   I was still the second poster to this thread.

My point:   If they wanna talk about Jazz, they will come.

Cheers

Rok, I agree with you 120%, so much so that I can't think of much to add. The facts have spoken for themselves over a long period of time, anything else is somebody's wishlist.

All you have to do is look at the other music threads, and with that I'll rest my case.
If you guys think that you (we) are the only jazz fans on this site you would be very mistaken. No one is suggesting that my suggestion would lead to more than a few more posters, but without much effort I can think of at least half a dozen new posters that stopped posting as a result of, or (to be as fair as possible) after some episodes of bs here. Wether they would have stayed long-term we may never know; however, even if I am mistaken, isn’t more civil interaction a desirable thing either way? You guys can continue to ignore this issue and even very recent examples of what I’m talking about, but it doesn’t change the facts and their possible ramifications. Too bad. Perhaps on some level the real wish is that this remain exclusive. Doubly bad.