Best way to Crossover JL Audio F110 into system

I just purchased a JL Audio sub and want to use a crossover to maximize both the sub and my Sonus Faber Olympica III's. I know that JL has a crossover for 3k, but was looking for "better and possibly more economical" way to achieve this. 

Any my feedback would be appreciated. 

Regards,

hambon
+1 on the E110's. I have a pair and the built in crossover is excellent. These work seamlessly with my hybrid electrostats.

hambon---When a capacitor is attached to the input jack of a power amp (typically soldered to the back side of the jack, on the inside of the amp), it creates a high-pass filter which rolls off the signal the amp sees at a rate of 6dB per octave, starting at a corner frequency determined by 1- the value of the cap, and 2- the power amps input impedance. The formula for determining the cap value needed for a particular desired x/o frequency and with a particular amp input impedance can be found via a Google search. The value of the cap, the amps input impedance, and the desired x/o frequency are inter-related.

This method of high-pass filtering has a couple of sonic advantages over any and all active cross-overs, and one disadvantage. That disadvantage is that the slope of the filter is very shallow, only 6dB/octave. That is a 1st order filter, and active x/o’s commonly provide steeper slopes (2nd-3rd-4th order, 12dB-18dB-24dB/octave), removing more of the bass from the signal sent to the amp and then speakers.

The advantages are: 1- There are no active electronics added to the system; 2- An additional interconnect is not required (an active x/o does); and 3- It’s cheap! Just the cost of the caps (one per channel), plus the cost to have them installed if one can’t solder. Purists having been filtering this way for a long time.

Not sure either of these helps with your budget question, but I have used them both with the JLA F110 to great results, and I offer for your consideration.  Pass Labs makes a great external crossover, the XVR1, which although a bit complicated to set up, once you get it right, its terrific.  Look around for a used one (or try Reno).   Also the McIntosh MEN 220 room correction unit is quite good, and does a lot more than just cross-over to your sub.  Again, find one used and its a lot of value add for the $.  

Finally (and separately)  and with all due respect, as to the suggestion above from a member that you should drop the sub because your "SFs completely out class it;" well, that is complete nonsense.  I'm not comparing SF with JLA in saying this, what I'm saying is that having a great sub (which you have) well integrated into your system will, in fact, enhance the  overall performance and experience.  Your SFs are very nice to be sure, but they will be even nicer with the sub, assuming it is properly worked into the mix.   
@whitecap , great suggestion on crossovers.  

I may pick your brains in a week or so. I am integrating my JL f212v2 with Mod LS36.5. The Mod is on its way with a customized Balanced line level outputs to drive my sub. I am hoping that 212 internal crossover should be adequate to strike a good balance with my mains. 

as an owner (soon to be former) of F110s w/ magico S3s, i think you should try to use the 24db x-over slope on the subs, the microphone room node optimizer engine, and your speakers run full range. then the issue is simply where to set the x-over point on the subs (as at 24db slope / octave, they will drop off fast). this was GREATLY preferred in my rig vs a passive x-over before the amp to the mains. there is no perfect part. dont screw with the signal path if at all possible. and w/ the F110s, its easily possible