Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I'm continuing with Stereophile's list of R2D4. Buddy Collette played sax, clarinet and flute; I primarily knew him for his work on flute. He grew up with Mingus in LA, but I can't think of any musical similarities between the two.

Buddy Collette Big Band In Concert;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS6HZoTt1TM

Sonny Rollins, "Alfie";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_moRogiog0

The last selection isn't jazz, but it was in R2D4, and I know somebody will like it; I wouldn't be surprised if he has it in his collection already. The Neville Brothers "Yellow Moon"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVxx3HVW24

Enjoy the music.

Hi o,

You guys have knowledge of jazz far beyond mine, but I have always loved jazz and have begun to appreciate it more than ever.

I recently bought a Hegel DAC and joined Tidal to expand my exposure to jazz by using this thread as a guide for learning more about great jazz using the extensive Tidal jazz database.

I will continue to share what I consider to be extraordinary finds as I go. Hopefully some of these will be beneficial to you experts and to others looking to increase their enjoyment of this great music.

Thanks to you all for building such a great database of knowledge on this topic.

Best to you all,
Dave

Brad Mehldau:

Excellent!!   I listened to every track that was on youtube.  Could not turn away.  Even 'Mighty', my cat, was impressed.   Maybe it was just the late hour, but it was really great.   Great playing and tune selection.

Charles and Jackson:
It's all been said before.

Cheers

Collette Big Band:

Rollins:
I saw the movie eons ago at the Peachtree Arts Theater in Atlanta.

Yellow Moon:
***** The last selection isn't jazz, but it was in R2D4, and I know somebody will like it; *****

You seem to be implying that some folks might not like this.  Outrage!!!   Do not listen to The Ballard of Hollis Brown' while alone.

The entire CD is great, but so is everything by the Neville Bros.

Cheers

Dave, having excellent taste is an important component for the acquisition of a boss jazz collection. Not many newcomers would have selected "Soul Brothers" in the beginning stage of getting into jazz. You couldn't have picked a better time; thanks to "You Tube", and a little help from your friends in jazz, you'll have a boss collection in no time.