Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

I was listening to Marvin Gaye's, "What's going on" and thought about when I was partying in Detroit in the mid 60's, when it was the richest city in the world in per capita income. Although at that time, I most certainly did not have time for statistics, I couldn't help but notice all the brand new shiny cars. I have never seen so many new cars on any city street before nor since. In one of the nightclubs we visited where Aretha Franklin was performing, the people were so well dressed, the place looked like a fashion show shoot.

"And the band played on". This is not the forum for such a discussion, I was just sharing my musings of how the times have changed, nothing else.
A little catching up:

Excellent Brad Mehldau suggestion, Dave. Beautiful record and I’m glad to see Mehldau get some love here. The last time his music was posted he received undeserved lukewarm response; I think it was around his "My Favorite Things". He is a brilliant player that has a unique jazz feel that is less obviously "swingy" than older generation jazz players. I was intrigued by a couple of comments that I would love some expounding/clarification on:

Francesco Cafiso: very impressive young player with probably a bit too much youthful exuberance. He has a whole lot to say; but, not quite organized enough yet with his thoughts. I was intrigued by the comment that he is NOT a *stereotypical* player. He is what saxophone players call a Phil Woods clone. He sounds very much like Phil Woods in tone and ideas and has clearly listened to a whole lot of Woods and copies a lot of his vocabulary. His solos are jam packed with stereotypical bebop licks and not enough connection between them. Previously, Phil Woods was unfairly (imo) deemed a "stereotypical" player. Wondered about this apparent contradiction. Why would I want to listen to this......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kZfWZCENO3o

......when I can listen to this, a real master:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHicOTweC5o

Marsalis, "Abyssinian Mass". I actually liked that clip and a couple others from the Mass that I listened to a lot. I think Wynton is coming into his own as as a composer. I haven’t liked most of his previous large scale compositions. There are some really great things there compositionally; and, ironically, some of the things that make this music successful for me are exactly what I don’t like about his playing in an improvisatory situation. I am intrigued by the comment that a Southern chorus would have been better. I think I understand why the comment was made and would love some clarification; but, again, the order and refinement that these voices have are part of how Marsalis "heard" the parts that he wrote for the chorus and in the context of that piece I think it works. That’s the irony, that control and refinement at the expense of a sense of abandon (Southern chorus?) is precisely what hangs up his improvisation. Still, I liked it a lot. Thanks for the post. I came across this related clip that I found interesting:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5N9CNp7ab-Q

Dave, you're getting special treatment; I don't know if you know that Frogman is a professional musician, who is also a walking music encyclopedia.

Presently I'm working on my "Vinyl play list"; I hope you have that analog to PC down pat. In this process I'm making discoveries; if you like "Grace, Passion, and Fire", you can focus on each individual guitarist, and expand your collection in a most pleasing fashion. I have a lot of Al Di Meola on very well recorded LP's, and none of them sound repetitious, which is what you run into recording one Lp after another of the same artist.

While not "Jazz Jazz", it's good music. If you make known what kind of sound you like in jazz, the other aficionados will chime in and help to build your collection; hope to hear from you.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I don't have much "Pops" in my jazz collection because until this thread,I considered him more of an "entertainer". That also goes for some of the other artists you have presented; I'll have to get busy and start adding.

It's funny that one of Acmans friends called the music you presented; "Cartoon music", and it's true, they used that music in a lot of old cartoons; that was a misuse of the music. I could hear the "Nawlins soul" in Pops horn, and that's always good.

Enjoy the music.
***** It's funny that one of Acmans friends called the music you presented; "Cartoon music", *****

Who said that?  I don't remember it.   I know I would not have let that pass unpunished.  Refresh me if you can.   Jamming to WAR at the moment.   Dare I post them on this thread?

Cheers