Legacy Aeris and amplification.

What is the best amplifier for the Legacy Aeris?
tmcdade
Assuming you are asking about what 2-channel or mono-block options are best for the top-end of AERIS as you will be using the built-in dual ICE amps to drive the bass and sub-bass drivers.  I mention this only because there is a build option that i had on my AERIS with a 10-post custom terminal plate that allowed for the use of up to 6 separate external channels of amplification.  I had the AERIS for 3+ years and had to part with them in December for personal (WAF-related) reasons; I already miss them in many ways. You are very fortunate if you get to have these speakers! Prior to 3+ years with AERIS, I also owned Focus SE; there is some common ground (IMHO) in what sounded good with FocusSE...the list below reflects that.

If you are looking for 2-channels only to drive the top end in a stereo amp or mono-block config, consider the following (there may be more but these are what I had direct experience hearing);

Drove mine with;

- Edge NL12.1 stereo amp (*) (so Edge monos are also a great option)
- Maker Audio NL14 stereo amp (*) (so MA monos are also a great option)
- Esoteric A-02 Stereo Amp (*)  Note: would imagine you could not lose with Esoteric M1 monos or S1 or S2 Stereo amps either...

I heard mine with;

- Emotiva Stereo Amp (XPA-2)
- Emotiva Monoblocks (XPA Monos))

I've heard AERIS, Whisper, V and Focus SE with the following;

- Amps noted above
- CODA 60.0 Monoblocks (*) (and prior model)
- CODA 40.0 Stereo Amp (*)
- CODA 15.5 Stereo Amp
- AVM SA 8.2 Stereo Amp (*)

I know other members who use the following and rave about the combo;

- McIntosh MC1.2KW
- McIntosh MC601s
- McIntosh MC452
- McIntosh MC302
- McIntosh MC275 (Tube, note there are many tube amps that pair well)

*Over the years of owning Focus 20/20, FocusHD, FocusSE and AERIS and evaluating Whisper, Helix and V, I know aLOT of people with McIntosh equipment who swore by the combination of McIntosh and Legacy. Same for several guys with Krell 402s, Krell monos, etc...

Others have heard the following with AERIS and V and rave;

- Ayon Audio various stereo and monoblock amps....
- Raven Audio Spirit Stereo
- Raven Audio Shadow Stereo
- Raven Silhouette, Spirit and Shaman Monoblocks...
- many other SET amp fans believe it or not

If I were to guess based upon what I've heard, the new Bryston 7B and 28B (?) amp offerings would be a good pairing as would Accuphase and the new Classe monos, etc....

Note that you'll see some big stereo and monoblock solid state amps up there at various price points. Same with the upper line tube products. This does NOT mean that AERIS needs an uber-expensive amp(s) to drive it; these are only what I've heard directly or know people who have direct experience with the amp/speaker combos.  

There are alot of other amps out there you'll see driving Legacy Focus SE, Whisper, AERIS, etc....they are very easy loads to drive and pair well with all the amps above and many more.

Send me a in-mail here if you have further questions. I've had the pleasure of having Legacy speakers (many models in both my HT and 2-channel rigs) for over 11 years....glad to help and speak by phone early next week if this will help.
You are a wealth of knowledge and I appreciate the information. I bought my Aeris 18 months ago and I am driving them with AVM MA 3.2S mono amps. My real dilemma is upgrade the amps, or with the Wavelet processor. Any thoughts?
Thanks....those AVMs are fine amps; you cannot go wrong stepping up the 8.2 though. It would be helpful to know what you are looking to achieve in terms of sound changes before you decide upon an amplification direction to take. The Raven's, Esoteric, McIntosh, Ayon and other amps are all fine direction but some guidance from you as to what you are wanting to achieve is needed.

If you are using the XILICA processor (I was for quite some time), trust me when I tell you paying the upgrade to Wavelet and using its RoomEQ will be a very smart 1st-choice.

Can you tell us more about your system,...cables, types of music, what you are looking to improve, etc....? I will be out and about over the weekend; will respond as soon as possible.