Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
**** I put that on the proper forum ****

O-10, if you don't mind my asking, how is the "ANALOG" forum the proper forum?  Very little of the discussion in the clip is about analog.  Perhaps "MISC AUDIO" would have been a more appropriate forum and would have received posts.  

Frogman, there is more than one segment; RMAF16: Analog Tape: The Ultimate Format Rocky Mountain Audio Fest, plus the future of vinyl should be in analog, while the other segments would fit in different forums; Misc audio sounds good for the rest of the segments, why don't you post it there.

My opinion of that whole thing has been stated; for example; there is no better waste of money than a $200. turntable, unless it's for a child.

***** I have never seen so many, talk so much, and say so little; "Is it is, or is it aint, will it will, or will it wont"; that's all I wanted to know, and I never found out.*****

EXACTLY!!   I did not get any info from the three or four I watched.   Fermer said "we have to get the people who can afford high end, to buy more of it." WTF?

I don't think music was even mentioned.

One guy said his amps sold for 185,000 dollars U.S.  I think that demands some explanation.   I bet it did not cost him much more to build that amp than it did Harman Kardon to build my $300 receiver.

A good opportunity missed.  All the gurus in one place and they say nothing.   Perhaps there is nothing to say.  It is what it is, the most lucrative business this side of the drug cartels.

Cheers

Frogman, after going through R2D4, I noticed there was no current or even fairly recent jazz there. While there is good music being made currently, good jazz is so debatable, that it's not worth the debate. Mediocre, yes; but good would be stretching it a bit. Mediocre is fine for live, if that's the best you can get.

Nothing falls in or out of existence without a reason; the kind of jazz I call "fantastic", only exists in the past. If you can find some current jazz, that I would call fantastic I'll agree to that.