Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
***** When I looked at the price tag, I said gimme a deuce, the fact that they're Polk is our secret.*****

You were putting your 'audiophile' life and reputation at great risk.   That';s almost as bad as being seen shopping in Best Buy wearing a BOSE T-shirt.

Cheers
orpheus10,

You said, " Nothing falls in or out of existence without a reason; the kind of jazz I call "fantastic", only exists in the past. If you can find some current jazz, that I would call fantastic I'll agree to that. "

I mostly agree with your statement.  Once in awhile though.....

I'd be grateful if you would give this a listen, if you haven't already and would like to hear your thought.

Bob

Branford Marsalis, "Love Supreme" live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8LQoV-uUW0

For a short while in the middle of that segment, Branford Marsalis became John Coltrane live. "Trane" played differently live than he did on his recordings. I checked to see if Branford had ever seen Trane performing live; since he was 7 years old when "Trane" passed, it's doubtful; but there he was in the middle of that performance blowing exactly like I saw "Trane" blowing live at the peak of his career.

That whole segment was almost hypnotic for us devout JC fans; it invoked the essence of "Trane".

Enjoy the music.