Can I use this amp in my house?

I've been looking at a power amplifier that has a 20 amp power cable. The tech specs say its maximum power consumption is 2400 watts. Would I need to have special wiring in the house to run this amp? If so, what would I need?

Thanks very much.

-- Howard

hodu
sbank,

What size of amp/s are you looking at?

I should have mentioned in my last post, just because the manufacture installs a 20 amp IEC inlet on the back of his equipment doesn't mean he had to do it to meet bare minimum electrical industry standards. He may of used the 20 amp IEC inlet because he thought it made a better male to female connection than the 15 amp IEC connectors/connection. When it comes to IEC connectors I don't think there is anything that says he can't. Unlike Nema electrical standards from my experience.

Just a guess Krell had to on a 300 watt per channel power amp. I believe Krell uses a pretty hefty over built power supply in their amps. If the amp is driven hard will it continuously draw over 12 amps of power without blowing its' AC line fuse, or circuit breaker if that is what it uses? If so then Krell had to use the the 20 amp IEC inlet connector. That is, imo, if it is Listed.
Audio Advisor says: "In fact, the 851W is so powerful that a normal AC power cable can’t deliver the current required. We supply the 851W with its own dedicated, high performance 20 amp AC power cable." 

It’s pretty clear you’ll need 20 amp service to use the full power as designed.
Audio Advisor says: "In fact, the 851W is so powerful that a normal AC power cable can’t deliver the current required. We supply the 851W with its own dedicated, high performance 20 amp AC power cable."
What a load of r****sh

This is it at clipping tested by Newport Labs.

8Ω loads, the 851W was able to deliver 223-watts

4Ω loads, it delivered 351-watts per channel

2Ω loads, and able to deliver 509-watts

The clipping indicators came on right at the onset of clipping
Cambridge pulling more than 200-watts from your mains power supply during normal operation, and nearly 700-watts when you’re listening at high volume levels.

Cheers George
@jea48 Considering Krell FBP300, FBP200, KSA-250, MDA300s or something similar. Cheers,
Spencer
sbank,

From the manual,

Full Power Balanced Power Amplifiers600, 300, 200 Stereo650M, 350M, 250M Monaural

AC Power Considerations
For best performance, a dedicated AC power line rated at a minimum of fifteen amps is recommended for each amplifier. For maximum power output, the Full Power Balanced 300 and 600 amplifiers Should be operated from a dedicated twenty amp AC power line. The Full Power Balanced amplifiers should only be operated with the power cord supplied. Please consult KRELL.or your dealer before using any devices designed to alter or stabilize the AC power for the Full Power Balanced amplifier

See page 12
Trouble shooting.

Amplifier switches to standby at high volume.

Possible cause.

Insufficient AC current from wall outlet.

Course of action.

Make sure the AC line is at least 15 amps; a dedicated 20 amp line is preferable for the full power balanced 300 and 600.

http://krellonline.com/assets/support/FPB_ORIGINAL_SERIES_MANUAL_V982.pdf

So The way I understand it as long as you do not push the amp hard a dedicated 15 amp circuit is fine.

Note dedicated 15 amp circuit. If a 15 amp convenience outlet branch circuit were used the amp may not preform to specs. It might/would depend on what other loads were sharing the branch at the time you were listening to the amp.

One other caution. If it is plugged into a 15 amp convenience outlet branch circuit the circuit breaker at the electrical panel may nuisance trip occasionally when the amp is first turned on from a cold start up. The standard breaker may not be able to pass the high in-rush current draw from the amp’s power transformer and charging the electrolytic caps in the power supply.

If you bought the amp and it trips the breaker, the more times the breaker trips, the more often it will trip, as it gets weaker. That’s the good news. The bad news is possibly at some point the breaker may malfunction and will no longer trip. At that point it is nothing more than an on off switch. The #14awg branch circuit wiring will no longer be protected.

There is an old thread on Agon, somewhere, I was involved in. Guys posted the breaker in the electrical panel was nuisance tripping. They were told to just change it out to a 30 amp breaker. Big mistake!
Jim