Old Amp vs. New Amp

Hi All!

I'm in search of a new amplifier and I am looking at new amps as well as older used amps.  There is some really great older gear out there for very reasonable prices, and of course the new stuff is considerably more expensive.

Is newer stuff really any better than some of the great older gear from the 90's and early 00's?

Opinions?
petrela

I think "newbees" should only buy "new" equipment they can afford. It takes experience to even know what's wrong; why start out taking that chance? Parasound use to be an affordable name that offered good gear. Just because I can no longer afford all those names that represent the "high end" doesn't mean you can't; but after all is said and done, used has more of a downside if you are not at least a "Half A--" technician.
Wolf - love it !!! I just sent my 1961 Mac 240 for first caps.... I can relate

While it is gone I am running an early 80's Audionics CC2 in my Vintage system - running 3 Ohm Apogees...
pretty sure it has stock factory caps

OP - good move on the Levinson
if you don't like it move on easy to market that amp

My last 'new' amp was back in the 90's, a Perreaux 3150 and other than a power switch is still operational, but currently retired. Everything after that has been picked up off the used market.Bedini 100/100, a ML 23.5 and a ML 333 that was just recapped in my main system. I prefer to spend on other things....like my '71 Chevelle... 
Audio gear is like everything else. It has a flavor that reflects the era in which it was made. So it's not necessarily better, just different. Like a digital photograph nowadays is clearer, has more resolution etc, than film, but it has a different feeling. I think probably many people - including myself - gravitate towards something that reminds them of early experiences with music.