Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Race and jazz: Art Pepper overheard some jive turkeys putting him down because he was white, and since he had heard that the word on the street was the ultimate word, he assumed this was it. While this is true, it's the word on the streets of New York, Chicago, and all major cities where jazz is heard. When he played with "The Rhythm Section" that should have settled his allegations of reverse racism, as well as shut down any African American claims that he was a lesser jazz artist than many other African American jazz artist. As far as I'm concerned it did. (plus I like his jazz)

Chet Baker: There is a lot of controversy that swirls around Chet Baker, and my personal opinion wont help it any. Maybe this will settle it.

https://artmodel.wordpress.com/2009/09/13/jazz-art-context-and-iconography/

Enjoy the music.

After reading the article- orpheus10-

what is your "spin" on Chet ?  BTW, no one has answered my query about the Warren Battiste CD ? Nice.
Excellent article.  Insightful and beautifully written; I loved it.  The author touches on many of the themes that have come up here and I agree with just about every point made including her final verdict; "Well, I like Chet Baker; I just don't love him".  I particularly liked her description of his playing from both technical and expressiveness standpoints and their respective limitations.  She does a great job of putting it all in the context of how an artist is perceived by audiences who, for better or worse, inevitably factor in things like physical appearance and personal habits.  I like his playing (maybe a lot); I just don't love it.

Jafant, I pretty much agree with the article and Frogman, but I think you are asking the question on an intensely personal level, and I say "It's a trumpet man, quit pussyfooting around and blow the thing".

If I could ask Chet a Question, it would be "Why do you keep jiving around with people everybody else knows not to mess with? They will hurt you."

Enjoy the music.
Today's Listen:

Jimmy Smith -- HOUSE PARTY

with: Lee Morgan / Lou Donaldson / Tina Brooks / Kenny Burrell / Art Blakey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibRLr8o2Rb4 

with: Lou Donaldson / Eddie McFadden / Donald Bailey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4UoU91m_Vg 

Cheers