Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, this represents some of the best jazz of 2016, and I'm sure, that according to Frogman, if I could live very well without it, there is something wrong with my taste in jazz. I think I have already given a description of this music before I even heard it. Now we can get his take on this music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjWiQIBRBqI&list=PLhgRBYq4z5qxoOJ_KN74IwlldurI-g9te

If this ain't a river looking for an ocean, I don't know what is, it sounds like lost people trying to find their way; lets hear what Frogman has to say about this most current music.
It's not a river looking for an ocean, it's not even water looking for a river, it's like clouds on a sunny day, in the middle of a severe drough,t trying to come together to create rain.

And to think Blanchard is from New Orleans.   Childhood friend of Wynton,   Played with Blakey.  The reincarnation  of Pops.   WTF!!!

And it was in Rotterdam.   They look to the USA to show the way in Jazz.

When the drummer took the stage wearing a tank top, I knew all I needed to know.   You can tell a lot by how they dress.

I do have him on CD doing better things.   Maybe I'll post some of his stuff.

BTW, he is huge in movie music.   Sad day in The Big Easy.

Cheers

Rok, you have no idea how sad current music is, until you compare it with that Blue Note DVD.

When I got off topic, that got a quick response; but off topic or on topic, we still have no more regular "aficionados" than we do now. When you look at the music forum, the reasons are quite apparent, plus, this is primarily an "audiophile", hangout, not music. When people have 10 different copies of "Kind Of Blue" and "Waltz with me Debbie" ( that last title might be wrong) but you get my drift.

While I have my faults, it seems to me, that it has been stated that if I bent myself around like a pretzel, we would have more regular contributors. I noticed when I stayed on topic for the longest, there were no new names. Now the present topic is old, and new music. Someone introduced some new music that I thought was good; now I didn't say that it was 100% in regard to old and new music, but the general difference is quite apparent.

Never the less, we continue to express our opinions and plod along.

Enjoy the music.
Old Music vs New Music:

Old and new do not refer to the date the music is created, played or recorded.  Old and new refer to a style of music.   As Jelly Roll said, Jazz is a way, or style, of playing music.   That's why tunes like 'Nature Boy' and 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home', can be Jazz tunes.

The notion / sense,  that Jazz must 'progress' or 'Improve' or move on to something Mo' Better is the major problem.   It is only in the Jazz genre that we have this situation.

Classical Orchestras all over the world play music hundreds of years old everyday.   The music is considered the heights of western civilization.   Country singers wish they could be like Hank Williams or Dottie West.   Folks in the mountains still worship Bill Monroe.

But in Jazz, we must have New Jazz.   Mo' better Jazz.   'Modern' Jazz.   And if you can't play a lick, 'Free' Jazz.

I listened to the Jazz music that I do, because it is the best created so far. On my rack,  Miles sits right next to Mozart.   Both, Giants in their genre.

I could junk Mozart in favor of Philip Glass.   After all, his music is 'Modern'.    Yeah right.

Cheers

**** you have no idea how sad current music is ****

Imo, the only sad thing is how this thread has managed, for three or four years, to return over and over again to the same tired themes that are competely off the wall and not based on the reality of all that is widely considered truth in and about music.  The "it's subjective" argument simply doesn't wash when it comes to very fundamental considerations about music and not simply preferred styles.  Don't you two guys have something new to say?  Needless to say, I don't agree with the comment about "how sad current music is" anymore than I agree with the idea that "most current music has no coherence or themes".  Where's the substance to back up those comments?  Now,  although it should be obvious, I should point out that had I not been included in O-10's diatribe in a way that is inappropriate and at least a little provocative, I would have ignored and not responded to the commentary in the last seven posts or so eventhough I consider most of it no more than bs.  Even worse, bs that ignores musical values and even a specific performance in order to make the commentary serve an e-social agenda.  

O-10, as OP, and as an OP that wants a leadership role in the thread, imo, your style of leadership leaves a lot to be desired.  Do you really think that I or anyone would be remotely interested in expressing an opinion about a performance that you have already panned without offering a single detail as to why you feel it needs to be panned.

**** Never the less, we continue to express our opinions and plod along. ****

And I just expressed mine.  If you would prefer a more polite version in the future please consider the above and don't speak for me.  "plod along"....exactly; sad.

Ghosthouse, if you're out there, check out the guitar player in the Blanchard clip; interesting player.