Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
**** you have no idea how sad current music is ****

Imo, the only sad thing is how this thread has managed, for three or four years, to return over and over again to the same tired themes that are competely off the wall and not based on the reality of all that is widely considered truth in and about music.  The "it's subjective" argument simply doesn't wash when it comes to very fundamental considerations about music and not simply preferred styles.  Don't you two guys have something new to say?  Needless to say, I don't agree with the comment about "how sad current music is" anymore than I agree with the idea that "most current music has no coherence or themes".  Where's the substance to back up those comments?  Now,  although it should be obvious, I should point out that had I not been included in O-10's diatribe in a way that is inappropriate and at least a little provocative, I would have ignored and not responded to the commentary in the last seven posts or so eventhough I consider most of it no more than bs.  Even worse, bs that ignores musical values and even a specific performance in order to make the commentary serve an e-social agenda.  

O-10, as OP, and as an OP that wants a leadership role in the thread, imo, your style of leadership leaves a lot to be desired.  Do you really think that I or anyone would be remotely interested in expressing an opinion about a performance that you have already panned without offering a single detail as to why you feel it needs to be panned.

**** Never the less, we continue to express our opinions and plod along. ****

And I just expressed mine.  If you would prefer a more polite version in the future please consider the above and don't speak for me.  "plod along"....exactly; sad.

Ghosthouse, if you're out there, check out the guitar player in the Blanchard clip; interesting player.
Hello @frogman 
Coincidentally, I was checking in briefly this morning.  Been spending more time lately on Head-fi.org.  Anyway, I will check out that GITarr player on the Blanchard clip.  Still owe Alex a listen to his suggestions.  

In support of your position, I respect the heck out of Orpheus' and Rok's depth of knowledge about and enthusiasm for "old school jazz" but seems needlessly restrictive to draw a circle around that and dismiss content that falls outside it...regardless of wardrobe.  

I'd also suggest time has exerted a filtering effect making more obvious the great material produced "back in the day".  BUT I suspect, living in the moment back then, there would have been an equal amount of "sad stuff" cluttering up the musical landscape.  We don't have the perspective provided by the passage of time to accurately assess all contemporary jazz.  Let's talk about it again 50 years down the road.  

Frogman, the Bru-Ha man; Rok made a short comment about the news, I responded with a "short" comment, Frogman took that opportunity to blame those two comments for the fact that it hasn't rained new contributors to this thread; he was wrong and he had to have a goat to scape.

Rok, has consistently come up with "new-old" music; that's good music by the old masters that eluded me; Gene Harris isn't new, but the music Rok presented by him is new to me. Frogman, you are beating a dead horse, when are you going to bury him.

Maybe you should be president; they are professionals at playing "The Blame Game", but none of them ever roll up their sleeves and solve any problems. Don't misunderstand me, new people for this thread might be a dead horse, but blaming me isn't going to make anything better.