Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Badass piano player. I love Red Garland. One of the most individualistic piano players in jazz. He introduced the block chording idea to jazz piano where he plays block chords with the left hand in the same rhythm as the melody in the right hand. This gave him one of the most distinctive sounds of any player and he did it with an amazing amount of feeling of swagger.

This has always been one of my very favorite jazz performances that I have on record; by any artist. A real classic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J3UnzDeZ8lI

Btw, a not commonly known fact is that Red Garland was an accomplished boxer who actually fought Sugar Ray Robinson at age nineteen; he lost badly. Fortunately he decided then to concentrate on his other talent.

One of the most misunderstood things in and about jazz (all creative art) is the "process" that artists embark on when developing their craft. It is easy to be seduced by the very romantic idea that the creation of the art (improvisation as concerns this thread) is almost entirely the result of the expression of the "creative muse"; a force that takes over and simply flows involuntarily from the artist. Words like "process", "develop" and "craft" can seem to be in opposition to the romance. The reality is much more complicated than that and is a combination of both sides of the coin. The great jazz artists have huge intellects and voracious appetites for learning via study and discipline; things that may seem to fly in the face of the free-wheeling attitude that they sometimes portray in their public personas. The greats studied not only the music of other great musicians in other genres, but also meticulously studied and had an encyclopedic knowledge of the classic recorded solos played by other great jazz players. They would learn and often transcribe (write down) these classic solos. All this becomes a part of the musical frame of reference that they draw from on their way to developing their own unique sound or style. This is a great example and may be of interest to some:

One of the classic solos that became famous among players like Red Garland and was carefully studied and analyzed was the trumpet solo that a young Miles played on the tune "Now’s The Time" on a Charlie Parker recording from 1945. Thirteen (!) years later on the Miles Davis recording "Milestones", on the tune "Straight No Chaser" which has similar chord changes as "Now’s The Time" and faster tempo, Garland would actually incorporate Miles’ 1945 solo in his own solo and would play it note for note in his distinctive block chord piano style. Amazing!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b5bQErnsIhg

This is Bird’s 1945 recording in its entirety with Miles playing the famous solo:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c1n4yr4SmA4

Miles’ 1958 "Straight No Chaser" in its entirety. Garland plays Miles’ 1945 solo at 7:30:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pthTtLZINHQ

Frogman, that album seemed to be in everybody's collection. My favorite cut was "Milestones", that was why I bought it.

When we choose the same identical LP's, we never choose the same cuts. I noticed this ages ago, but never wanted to mention it because you might get offended. I don't think it's anything that should be offensive, just differences and similarities in two involved and advanced jazz fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k94zDsJ-JMU

Enjoy the music.
I don't have loads of jazz, but two of my favourites are 'Fat Albert Rotunda' by Herbie Hancock and VSOP. 

Every time I play Fat Albert Rotunda my youngest son thinks it's the music from Charlie Brown Christmas.

Frogman I'm amazed by your knowledge of this music we call "jazz". Another amazing fact is that some jazz artists, and musicians are quite educated, and articulate in the formal sense.

I have been most amazed by the ones that can't read music; it seems they had become professional musicians before they realized that wasn't a good idea. By that time, what else could they do? Think about it.

Professional musicians who can't read music are totally unbelievable; they just get up on stage and blow a whole crowd of people away. I've seen this so many times, and found it unbelievable each time.

Jazz has a wide variety of people and artists in regard to musical education.