Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Frogman I'm amazed by your knowledge of this music we call "jazz". Another amazing fact is that some jazz artists, and musicians are quite educated, and articulate in the formal sense.

I have been most amazed by the ones that can't read music; it seems they had become professional musicians before they realized that wasn't a good idea. By that time, what else could they do? Think about it.

Professional musicians who can't read music are totally unbelievable; they just get up on stage and blow a whole crowd of people away. I've seen this so many times, and found it unbelievable each time.

Jazz has a wide variety of people and artists in regard to musical education.

At this time, I was working with an "Anthropologist" and I didn't even know what an anthropologist was, or did. We were working together building wire mock up for aircraft; those are the bundles of circuitry for planes; never mind if you don't understand that, the only relevance is that too diverse people were in the same place at the same time, working the same job, and that was the reason they were there.

This guy was the most brilliant person I had ever been around; when he told me he was an "archeologist- anthropologist", I couldn't stop asking him questions; the first one was "What are you doing in this aircraft manufacturing plant."? He told me he was waiting for a "dig"; that's one word, meaning people pay you to dig in Africa, or somewhere when they get funding. (an awfully insecure job), and working to support himself until that happened.

He talked like somebody who was born on a college university with old buildings, and any time the work slowed down, I peppered him with questions, and he always had the answers. I had just bought this Mingus album "Pithcanthrupus Erectus", and I asked him if he knew what it meant; when he told me in great detail what this meant, and how that was part of his job, I was floored.

pithecanthropus

any primitive apelike man of the former genus Pithecanthropus, now included in the genus Homo See Java man, Peking man.
When this man stood up, he was "Pithcanthrupus Erectus".

Here is Charles Mingus's take on that; Mingus saw this as the first upright human being and assumed that since he was so proud of standing up, he saw himself as the ruler of the world. And as the ruler of the world, he became rather arrogant. And then, this arrogance makes a counterattack with nature, which led him into decline, and eventually he fell into extinction.

That is what Charles Mingus intended for you to hear; can you hear it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6GkA54n_Q

When this dude stood, he felt like ruler of the world.

Two recordings have always stayed in my heart for years...

1. Gary Bartz - Ju Ju Man.  This is a very rare Japanese import...if you can find it (no matter what medium) buy it.  His recording of "Chelsea Bridge" is just amazing...he starts on clarinet and switches to soprano sax half way through...one of the most soulful and emotional readings of a chart I have ever heard.

2. Buddy Rich Plays and Plays and Plays.  Recorded in the 70s...I have so much respect for Bob Mintzer as an incredible saxophonist and also a composer/arranger.  I had this on vinyl, but couldn't find it for years...I finally met Mintzer and asked him about it...he told me it's available on a cd reissue titled "No Jive."

Honorable mentions...

1. Herb Ellis/Ray Brown - Soft Shoe (Concord label).  Although we think of George Duke as a funk/hip hop/fusion kind of electronic keyboardist, he was in reality a very fine jazz pianist...this is one of the few jazz recordings where we can hear him playing straight jazz on an acoustic piano...just buy the recording to hear his performance...he is just amazing.

2. Monty Alexander in Tokyo.  (Pablo label).  This has to be one of the hardest swinging recording sessions I have ever heard.  The young Monty Alexander just plays with an intensity that never lets up until the record is over.  The rhythm section has a hard time keeping up with him.

Interestintg set of mentions, mikeydee; nice post.  

One of the most interesting things on YouTube giving some insight into Gary Bartz, while talking about Miles.  Great player, Bartz; he sounds amazing on the clip behind the interview footage:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QCLqDOmMB3w