Why are the Infinity IRS, Reference 1b, Beta ect speakers passive on the mids and highs?

I would like to know why all of the classic Infinity's and most other brands use passive crossovers for the mid to high transition? I don't think it was for cost and that level. Is passive better? Has anyone compared both to know which is better?
partroysound

An active electronic x/o need not necessarily contain opamps, or ic’s as well. As an example, my First Watt B4 is free of both, and it’s use in a bi-amped speaker system can make for a better product than almost all non-bi-amped speakers using speaker-level filters.

I am a former Infinity RS-1b speaker owner (high end dealer Brooks Berdans personal pair), and I consider my current Eminent Technology LFT-8b/GR Research OB/Dipole Sub speaker combo, bi-amped via the B4 (sort of---the Sub is self-powered), to be considerably better than the RS-1b, and they were the special-order Cardas-wired version. The RS-1b outboard x/o was, claims to the contrary, rather shoddy, as was the structure of the panel, ridiculous at their price. The wooden panel wing needed a brace added from its top edge to its base to keep it from swaying in the breeze---a few wood screws held the wing to the base, sort of. Ridiculous! The Emit and Emin drivers were good, but the way they were employed left something to be desired; different frequency ranges appeared at different heights, for one thing. The best part of the RS-1b was its servo-feedback bass system, each enclosure containing six 8" servo-controlled woofers. Really punchy! But the GR Research OB/Dipole Sub, also a servo-feedback bass system, with two 12" woofers mounted in an H-frame, is a whole lot better. IMO, of course!

Partly aesthetics/market driven.

Having this idea allowed buyers to use boutique tube amps for the mid/highs, letting them feel part of the process of creating the sound.

Certainly when these speakers came out, no one wanted an all-active speaker in the high end market. That is pretty much still the case (sadly). There are almost no fully active speakers in the "high end" while they thrive in the pro world.

Don't shoot me, I know active speakers are out there, I'm just saying they have not yet caught on, and may never.

Best,

E
@bdp24 
"The Emit and Emin drivers were good, but the way they were employed left something to be desired; different frequency ranges appeared at different heights, for one thing".
This is corrected when you hand match the drivers for exact output and hardwired the pad. The pots were poor.
The pots were poor.
Pots are always a problem when old in any speaker, you replace the pots with appropriate resistor L pad power resistors of the same values for your preferred setting.

Cheers George
I am learning here. Timlub, it sounds like you have experience on the RS1B. Is there anywhere I can get specifics on what to do to improve the RS1b. What made me start the thread was an experiment I did with the RS1B's I have. I disconnected the crossover and tri-amped the system. I know a lot changed because all of the EMIM's went to a midrange whereas passively 6 are 150-700 and 1 is 700-3500 but I did not like the sound as a simple 3 way. I have another system where I have 10 EMIM's and a ribbon tweeter from a magnepan 20.7 where the tri amp works pretty well but falls short in some ways to the RS1B. I am trying to figure it out.
Marc